Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Anyone have panic attacks?

I really can't explain this at all, I'm too embarassed and gutted really.

Just does anyone have any experience of panic attacks (caused by going out alone, social situations or busy places) and know any help available please?

Thanks
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I will pm you when I can get on the big of. Only on I touch ATM and hard to type.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:45 PM
I do!! I havent been on public transport or a passenger ina car for 10 years. I also cant go shopping somtimes, or cinema or anywhere i feel trapped. Bloody nuisance and i hate it!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
No direct experience, but I did have a friend who went through a stage of suffering these. You would never have guessed it if you didn't know him well - he was the most sociable, outgoing person going - always the life and sole of the party.

He got counselling which helped a lot and he realised then that it was his stressful relationship that had triggered them. i'm not in touch with him anymore unfortunately, but with help, he did regain control and was happy again.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about though hun.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I had them as a teen esp at college and was agoraphobic.
I can vividly remember everyone going up the many flights of stairs to lessons, I had an attack and was going to get out of there no matter who got in my way..... so everyone was going up.... and I was fighting them coming down... anything to get out of there and into the safety of my beloved car.

I can't really give advise though as back then was given valium and also saw a psychotherapist, which also wasn't much help tbh. I was a bit of a pickle as a teen.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I had one due to stress once, and also had lots of near panic attacks when i suffered from depression. I got cognitive behaviour therapy through the GP (after i had done loads of work with years of counselling) and the CBT really helped. The counselling had really helped me understand myself and the CBT taught me how to control my mind and negative thoughts.

I know lots of people who it has also worked for for depression, panic attacks, agroaphobia etc.

There is a really readable book called MInd over mood, which explains CBT really well.

I can't reccomend CBT strongly enough, it helped me to change the way i thought and therefore my life.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks all x
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I am going for Hypnotherapy for mine.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 08:50 PM
No need to feel embaressed Lottie, you would be surprized how many people suffer from it. I have had it for a long time agraphobia as well. I saw a councellor for a while and it helped me a lot, it just helps me cope with it. There is a thread on here somewhere where people are giving their experiences and what things have helped them. Hope it helps.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks everyone x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >