Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Shaving A Male Dog

So my vet told me when Chance was younger to keep his winky shaved. Chance had gotten 3 UTIs in a row and the Dr said this would help and to keep him out of tall grass till he recovers. I still keep him shaved. My question is do you guys shave your boys??? Should I keep doing it???
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't shave mine (dogs that is) although I do trim the wispy long hair from the end of Fingal's willy when we clip him as his hair grows quite long and he gets that golden string thing.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi Jessica I wouldn't shave a dogs penis, maybe remove any very long hair close to the end (leaving about an inch of hair) with scissors and that is it .
Why? The hair gives a certain amount of protection,also shaving the penis could be irritating and cause the dog to scratch the area excessively and even result in a type of shaving rash.

I think all that is needed really is for the dog to keep itself clean by licking, so it is a good idea to keep the mouth clean. You can also wash the area in a mild saline solution making sure you dry it well afterwards, but I think it is best left to the dog to keep it clean .
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks. Thats what I was thinking. I think that shaving it while he had the infection might have been ok but I think he should be fine now. Thanks for the help. Still others chime in, Im curious as to what ya'll have to say about it.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't shave my boys either, as thought it was there for protection Have trimmed off a bit of Jamie's "plume" in the past....
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:36 AM
I trim the longest hairs off my three hairy boys & the two oldest beint Cavailers I trim the hair on the chest where they tend to wee on themsleves. Rjj being a smoothie doesn't need any trimming
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Charlie doesn't really have a lot of hair round there anyway, he has a bald tummy behind his willy and inside his thighs but I do trim the end with scissors and cut his feathers in front right down so they don't get stained as he has a habit of sort of stretching to pee rather than cocking his leg, he does the stretchy thing about 80% of the time he pees and cocks his leg the rest and his tummy feathers are white and do get stained if I don't cut them down, but only about 2 inches in front of his willy.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 06:36 PM
i trim the end to keep him clean just with sissors hun, never had any infections etc. hope that helps.