Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Do dogs have panic attacks?

I appologise if I sound stupid but I really wondered last night if Loki was having a panic attack, it really scared me and was over quickly and he has been fine since but thought you guys could shed some light on it for me and put my mind at rest!

Last night Loki was asleep in the front room where I was watching telly, I got up to do something in the other room and he stayed in the front room asleep, he usually wakes up and follows me if I leave the room but not always so I left him to it. After a minute or so he came in and he was breathing really quick was very wide eyed my imediate thought was he looked like a person having a panic attack, I bent down to him talked to him in a calm quiet voice and stroked him and he visibly calmed nearly straight away and his breathing gradually went back to normal. This was about 11pm last night I decided to stay up for awhile and keep an eye on him but as I finished what I was doing he walked off and went up to bed as OH had already gone up. He was his normal self all evening before this and has been since so I dont think I need to worry too much. My initial thoughts were that he had woken up to find me not there panicked and came and found me, once he had reasured himself where I was he happily went to bed.

He does seem to wake up panicked occasionally, not with the breathing like last night, that was what really worried me, when OH is going upstairs he doesnt normally bother, a couple of times though hes woken up whilst hes been going upstairs really cried out and ran up after him, he seems very distressed when he cries but then hes fine again as soon as he kind of wakes up properly and OH stops and speaks to him, any ideas, insight would be very welcomed!
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 09:57 AM
shiloh has had panick atacks if something scares him like the fire alarm going of or unusual sounds he shakes from head to toe breathing is terrible he paces trys climbing on top of anything thats in his way to avoid these noises but once spoken to he soon starts to calm down and breathing and shaking is reduced
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover View Post
shiloh has had panick atacks if something scares him like the fire alarm going of or unusual sounds he shakes from head to toe breathing is terrible he paces trys climbing on top of anything thats in his way to avoid these noises but once spoken to he soon starts to calm down and breathing and shaking is reduced
Thanks bar the shaking that sounds just like how Loki was last night!
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2006, 12:25 PM
troy has panic attacks and will spook, usually at loud bangs and fireworks, but sometimes I can't work out what has worried him. If it happens outside he will leg it. I have taught all my dogs to always head back to the car and wait for me in moments of crisis. You need to be careful where you park so they don't have to cross any raods to get back to it. try to ignore it as much as possible, or you may reinforce it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 12:27 PM
yes they do have panic attacks ....the reason depend on the dog
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone, I thought they could but wanted to be sure, he has been fine since so think he just paniced at waking and finding me gone, probably thought he might me missing something!

Originally Posted by reclaimingrebus View Post
troy has panic attacks and will spook, usually at loud bangs and fireworks, but sometimes I can't work out what has worried him. If it happens outside he will leg it. I have taught all my dogs to always head back to the car and wait for me in moments of crisis. You need to be careful where you park so they don't have to cross any raods to get back to it. try to ignore it as much as possible, or you may reinforce it.
It did worry me that I might reinforce it but as at the time I wasnt sure what was wrong with him and was just concerned to get him breathing properly I felt calming him down was the right thing to do at the time, I didnt over fuss him just spoke to him calmly and stroked his back, it hasnt happened again since so hopefully no harm done!
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Hi Hannah, having just reread my post I realise that it sounds a bit "know it all " and sharp. I didn't mean it to, and on reflection, I would have done exactly the same, so my apologies. Hopefully it was just a one-off. Hope all is well.
Elaine
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by reclaimingrebus View Post
Hi Hannah, having just reread my post I realise that it sounds a bit "know it all " and sharp. I didn't mean it to, and on reflection, I would have done exactly the same, so my apologies. Hopefully it was just a one-off. Hope all is well.
Elaine
Not how I took it at all no need to apologise, I just appreciated the reply and advice!