Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2006, 10:02 PM

Scratching.....

Jake been scratching a lot, have had a good look over him and can't see any scabs or fleas or anything. Where he does toilet is quite long grass wonder if it's just that. He is quite sensitive in that when ya play and tickle him his leg goes at the slightest touch.... any ideas??
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 10:04 PM
When you say his leg goes at the slightest touch where are you touching him when his leg goes? My dog used to do this when you touched his ears and he was eventually diagnosed with sarcoptic mange (after 18 months of going backwards and forwards to the vets) Actually I remember him also doing it when you touched him on his side too but it was his ears that were the worst, he used to scratch them till they bled It might just be a grass allergy or something though.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2006, 10:08 PM
I mean like when he gets tickled, ya know how there legs like shakes coz it's tickly??
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
I mean like when he gets tickled, ya know how there legs like shakes coz it's tickly??
What happens if you sort of rub the edge of his ears between your finger and thumb - does his back leg go then?
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Nope.....
Just him scratchin so much I wondered if maybe it's just the long grass in the garden annoying him.... no sign fleas or sores...
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Nope.....
Just him scratchin so much I wondered if maybe it's just the long grass in the garden annoying him.... no sign fleas or sores...

Oh good - it doesn't sound like sarcoptes then. Perhaps its just his puppy hair falling out a bit and making him a bit itchy. Has he had any flea treatment at all because you can't always see fleas. I'm not sure whether you can use Frontline on young pups or not

Looks like you might need to mow the lawn
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-09-2006, 10:26 PM
he was treated just before I got him "allegedly" gonna do it anyway, can't do any harm eh.... the "lawn" is like a jungle, domestic tools won't do it, been chasin the council to sort it as they promised when I took the place.... He seems ok, maybe just me paranoid, just felt he was scratchin a lil more than I'd expect.. But thanks for ya advice
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 07:26 AM
he was treated just before I got him "allegedly" gonna do it anyway, can't do any harm eh....
what an odd thing to say. if your breeder says they treated your puppy before it left its dam, why would you doubt it - and if you dont trust what your breeder has told you about something so minor, why did you buy a pup from them?

I would check whether they used the spot on drop or the spray though, before deciding whether/when to repeat.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post
what an odd thing to say. if your breeder says they treated your puppy before it left its dam, why would you doubt it - and if you dont trust what your breeder has told you about something so minor, why did you buy a pup from them?
I felt the breeder was fine up to the point when I was ready to take Jake home. After that I felt she was more interested in getting the money into her purse than checking if I was suitable and/or if I had the right preperations in place for taking home a puppy. I felt she switched off as soon as she got the cash.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2006, 07:51 AM
both breeder and purchaser should have satisfied themselves of suitability long before it gets to the stage where money is exchanged!

But I digress.

There may be many reasons your pup is scratching, you might never work it out.
It might be something as simple as hair growth (mentioned above) it could be down to your washing powder or other household products - such as shake n' vac on the carpets.

...as long as your pup is otherwise healthy and happy, I would try not to worry too much.

thandi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >