Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2006, 06:43 PM

springers coat

my springer floss is suffering in this heat. since being spayed her coat grows out rahter than down,the liver is more chocolate colour now.underneath is still soft but the top of her,her ears and her head are awfull!!fluffy insnt the word!she has bloomers too!!i have tried using thinning scissors but either ive made it worse or her coat has altered(spayed in oct) she is too slim to clip out she would look awfull!!she also seems to be moulting permanently??any tips on how to help her?and me thanks
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
All i can think of is to clip her i have a springer and two cavaliers and i have cliped all my three today really short they feel a lot better now they are not panting as much now even though your springer is thin i think she will look lovely and she will be a lot lot cooler bless her
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I would go with clipping in this instance also. Normally I wouldn't suggest it as clipping can change the coat texture in Springers, but as her coat has changed already I'd definitely try it out.
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2006, 09:37 PM
ok thankyou for your replies.i used to clip my old springer but that was years ago and i have forgotten how to do it!i have the video that came with the clippers but doesnt really show how to do her.what number blade?and what direction???i really dont want to muck her up,and cant afford £60 to clip her
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Some times i use no 1 and when it is really hot i dont use any number i just use the blade thats on there that gets the hair really short and i go down the fur from the back of the head down to the bum as you have,nt done cliping for a while if i was you i would use no 1 hope you get on ok let us know how it goes you could always post a picture after i will post a picture of my spencer later to let you see how he looks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi Catsic clipping is ok for a pet, it does not thin the coat though and once you have clipped the coat you will need to continue,and it will be hard to get the original coat back.

Another option to clipping (or to combine with clipping/shortening with thinning scissors) is to thin the coat by scraping using a hard chalk block and a good quality stripping comb like a hauptner.

You rub the block over the coat, than scrape with the knife going in the direction of the coat starting by the neck and scraping towards the tail keeping the knife flat against the dog. You will be amazed how much fluff comes out. Continue until you have removed all the fluff and dead hair, then brush with a soft brush to remove the chalk .
If you wish to shorten the coat you can now do so using clippers or thinning scissors.

Added you can buy a hard chalk block and a Haupter knife on the internet
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by chelsea
Some times i use no 1 and when it is really hot i dont use any number i just use the blade thats on there that gets the hair really short
inca faints with palpatations
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
thankyou!!well ive clipped her with number1 wouldnt dare go any lower she looks ok apart from i wish id left more feather on underneath looked nice b4 i did that.tidied her ears so she doesnt look like worzel gummage.i can see 1 or 2 clip lines but not bad considering i had to hold her up!!and clip by myself.she insists on lying on her back!and hates!her stump being touched.she is bathed now aswell.would u believe it she is shivering!!
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
thanks mini i could well try that in the winter rather than clip her.ive tried thinning scissors and that was a disaster the hair seemed to grow back denser where it had been done?i will look those up and save them thankyou.
catsinc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
sorry to post again but i cant anything on a haupter knife?is it known as a stripping?thanks
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >