Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2004, 09:56 PM

gastroplexy

Ive been reading so much about bloat, as the irish setter in a hot favourite s my next dog.

Ive head the gastroplexy surgery can stop a dog bloating, is there any truth to that?
Can a dog have the surgery even though it hasnt bloated, but is a high risk breed?

any help would be great help
Thanks
Gem x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Gastroplexy secures the stomach to the wall of the abdomen so that would prevent the stomach twisting, but whether it would actually prevent the stomach from bloating I'm not sure.

Have a look at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2788/bloat.htm

Prophylactic gastroplexy is mentioned under the section 'Lowering the risks'.

It is interesting that the research indicates: "Breeds that have a deeper & narrower abdomen are at greater risk, with the abdomen depth/width ratio being a much stronger predictor than the chest depth/width ratio for breeds.....Compare the setter...to the retrievers...Here are two breed types that are roughly the same size, yet the setters have a much higher incidence [of bloat]. Setters have a very deep, narrow abdomen, while retrievers have a shallower, wider abdomen."
Bon
Almost a Veteran

26-05-2004, 11:24 AM
You can also keep bloat under control by feeding your dog twice a day instead of just one big meal and also do not exercise one/two hours before and after meals.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Thats what I do, no exercise two hours either side of meals.

What about elevated feeding Does that lower or increase the risk of bloat I was going to raise Stars bowl but then I heard that it increases the risk. Dont know what is the right thing to do.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

26-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I know what you mean Carole, I have read good and bad on both. :smt017
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2004, 09:06 PM
I do not believe that there is any precaution that will 100% garantee a dog avoiding bloat. Dogs can still bloat following Gastropexy, and the sutures can fail. allowing the stomach to twist after all.

Cassidy was my Irish Setter, he bloated for the first time in December 2001 and was successfully treated by the insertion of a cannula through his abdomen, which reduced the tension by allowing the gas to escape. A stomach tube was then passed, and he was washed out with water and liquid parafin. He came home later that evening. The second time Cassidy bloated was October 2002. We were coming home from our daily free run. As I put him back on lead he was already bloating, as I walked him home he tried several times to vomit, without success. I got him to the vet again and he had the same treatment as before. This time I realised that he was going to have a recurring problem with this, and I was probably going to lose him at some stage. I think I made a subconscious decision about limiting his suffering.

Little did I know that only 2 weeks later he would have another episode, and I chose to have him put to sleep. He was only 5 years old, but I could not allow this horribly painful condition to hurt him again. I worried that he might have an episode through the night, or when I was at work, and that he would die a horrible death, without me to hug him.

I think that some individuals are at greater risk than others, you see I have another Irish Setter, Bailey. Bailey has never bloated, and he and Cassidy were treated the same. My dogs eat twice a day, Bailey and Cassidy ate from bowl stands. They have breakfast at 6am, and we don't go out for a walk/run till 9am. I was, and still am very careful of when and how much water they get, but still Cassidy bloated.

What will be will be.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

29-05-2004, 10:38 AM
I am so sorry you lost Cassidy.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2004, 04:13 PM
very sorry nursey

i agree what will be WILL be