Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2005, 04:14 PM

dial up problems

i am on ntl dial up and when i try to go on the internet,most of the time the server seems to drop out,it says to press back or refresh but then when you do it comes up again with page cannot be displayed,press back or refresh do you think broadband will solve this as i'm getting really annoyed with it now also i am not very computer literate so instructions would need to be idiot friendly
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by griff
i am on ntl dial up and when i try to go on the internet,most of the time the server seems to drop out,:
Do you mean you can not connect to the server (NTL) if you do then it's all down to NTL and how they set it up how long it takes for their computer to talk to yours to allow you onto the network.
it says to press back or refresh but then when you do it comes up again with page cannot be displayed,press back or refresh :
Every explorer displays that when it can not find a page (i.e.) the NTL home page
do you think broadband will solve this as i'm getting really annoyed with it now also i am not very computer literate so instructions would need to be idiot friendly
I think that most ISP'S now make it more difficult for the dial up user so that you will change to BB
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
What your describing is (i think) called 'timed out'.If your PC cannot find the site or page your requested in an alotted time-you get the error page come up.It normally happens when your server or the site you have requested is busy.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 06:48 PM
I had nothing but problems when i was on NTL dial up
I know that they used to disconnect you if you were inactive for more than 5 minutes
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Dialup? Wo-ho, tell me about it! Add AOhelL to the equation, and it gets far worse!

I can't get BB yet - the go-live date has slipped more times than a young puppy on a frozen puddle! Our exchange has all the bits it needs, but BT have decided that they need to upgrade all the microwave relays across the Grampians, and the proposed date of 21 June has become "no details yet, perhaps a month".

What have the greedy s*ds been doing for the last five years? Juggling their unmentionables, by the look of things!

By the time BT get their act together, all the BB signup freebies will be unavailable.

Try using Firefox as your browser, it's free, it was made by people who think the Net should be completely free-access, and the browser is tenacious in getting past obstacles. I'm not going to say that I have no problems using Firefox, but they are far fewer.

You can try downloading it here, always providing you can avoid falling asleep while it loads!

Snorri
(cursed with dialup, AOL, and an ailing laptop)
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 11:51 AM
thanks everyone,i suspected the problem was ntl and perhaps they wanted everyone to switch to bb.they will lose me as a customer as i can't get ntl broadband ha ha.thanks for the browser snorri