Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 07:36 PM

I Don't Believe It!

Went shopping today. It has been peeing with rain all day and my back windscreen wiper was worn and smearing all the time. So as we passed the garage hubby pulled in to get a new one.
Ok, 1 windscreen wiper £8-something. Neither me nor hubby have enough cash left so I paid with my credit card.
Or tried to, the machine wouldn't accept my card and told the assistant to ring a certain number. Which he duly did.
Then I had to speak to them and answer some security questions. Then they authorised my card but gave me a number to ring before I used the card again.
When I got home there was a letter telling me not to use my card before speaking to them.

Turns out that during an internet transaction my card details have been "stolen" Fortunately the details have never been used, the bank got there first.

Full marks to HSBC for being on the ball.
The card is now shredded and I am penniless til the new one arrives
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-03-2010, 09:08 PM
It's quite good isn't it when the bank are one step ahead albeit very embarissing at the retail outlet where you feel like everyone is looking at you thinking "Oh she's gone over her credit limit"

Here in Czechland there are many retailers which have a poor reputation with credit card fraud etc. so quiteoften we find that our cards get stopped if we try to use them for two transactions in one day, or two at one retailer in succession.

I have spoken to our bank and have now had to accept that we'll only use the card once per day which is not as bad as it sounds 'cos there are not all that many shops which accept credit cards anyway
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Gosh how scarey, but as you say, great that the bank realised before the thieves had used your card.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Turns out that during an internet transaction my card details have been "stolen" Fortunately the details have never been used, the bank got there first.
Did they tell which 'internet retailer' it was 'cos I would say their security is bad and I would never use them again.

In fact I've made a conscious (Sp?) decision to reduce my internet shopping and use only well known names or do the ordering over the phone.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:16 PM
How annoying on many levels, but, good old HSBC. We bank with them and they are brilliant.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Good grief, Jenny! At least the bank spotted it pronto, that's something. Quite unsettling though.

I hope Mo will share her biccies with you until you have some money!
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-03-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm sooooo glad the bank spotted it in time, goodness knows what could have happened if they didn't . . . !!!

This is becoming all to common now and it makes me feel sooooo sad that there are sooooo many bad people out there . . . .
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:23 AM
This happened to me, I'd used my card online, then when I went to order my shopping from asda the card was declined.....I had to shred the card and wait for a new one. Someone had actually tried to take money from my account, but Halifax were one step ahead

Glad they stopped your account being used fraudulently x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Did they tell which 'internet retailer' it was 'cos I would say their security is bad and I would never use them again.

In fact I've made a conscious (Sp?) decision to reduce my internet shopping and use only well known names or do the ordering over the phone.
They couldn'/wouldn't tell me, they only could say it was a while ago.
I'm going to be very careful who I deal with on-line now. I do quite a lot of on-line shopping.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Good grief, Jenny! At least the bank spotted it pronto, that's something. Quite unsettling though.

I hope Mo will share her biccies with you until you have some money!
Lol, she might have to

Originally Posted by Penry View Post
I'm sooooo glad the bank spotted it in time, goodness knows what could have happened if they didn't . . . !!!

This is becoming all to common now and it makes me feel sooooo sad that there are sooooo many bad people out there . . . .
I thought I had done everything I could to be safe but obviously not.
I really believed on-line shopping was safe. Just shows ya doesn't it

The garage where I was trying to use it were very understanding and said "Oh sometimes banks just run security checks" I rang them in the afternoon to let them know what had happened.