Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 07:18 PM

Where to visit on and near Skye

4 sleeps till our annual doggy Scotland holiday!!!

I have the harnesses, safety straps and double ended leads (also frozen a load of liver and sardine cakes for tasty treats to distract) to prepare for the sheep, and plan to stay away from fields full of lambs or calves!

I always compose a bit of an itinerary so we get the most out of our weeks there - and walk our feet off!

We're staying near Ratagan, Loch Duich on the mainland but hope to spend a lot of time on the Isle of Skye.

Looking at maps so far I would like to walk:

>Glen Brittle forest on Skye

>Walk to the Point of Sleat

>Go up the Storr and Old man above Portree

>Explore the 5 sister mountains, Glen Shiel

Any more ideas anyone? Please help!

I know that there are lots of lucky, lucky people on dogsy who are lucky enough to live in Scotland, so very envious!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 07:25 PM
hello - am so so jealous..

Definetly take a trip to the coral beaches right at the top near Dunvegan castle.

If you go to walkhighlands.co.uk and search for coral beaches then you will get the guide - but this is it copied
Its right at the west of the island and well worth a wee trip !!!

Continue on the minor road past Dunvegan Castle to its end at Claigan; there is a car park here on the left. At the far end of the car park is an information board giving details about the Coral Beaches and the walk. Go through the gate and follow the track. After crossing a boggy area on stepping stones, the track slants down and runs alongside the coast.

Click to enlarge

2. There are lovely views across Loch Dunvegan to Borreraig on the far side and Dunvegan Head; inquisitive seals sometimes pop up and peer at walkers passing along here. A pebbly bay with some coral sands is reached at Camas Ban, where the track heads off to the right. For the coral beaches, continue straight ahead across the grass towards the obvious gap in the dry stone wall. A stream is crossed on stones. Pass through the gap in the wall and over a slight rise. The true Coral Beaches are now revealed ahead - a beautiful sight, which on a fine day looks almost tropical.

Click to enlarge

3. Descend down to the coral beach. Close inspection reveals the sand to be made out of dried,calcified sea weed known as maerl. There are also thousands of tiny, delicate snail shells. The island just off-shore to the left is Lampay whereas the larger island straight ahead is Isay. Continue along the beach to the end of the sands.

Click to enlarge

4. On the way back, it is worth ascending the little flat-topped hill behind the beaches, known as Cnoc Mor a Ghrobain. This has excellent extensive views over the beach from Stein in Waternish right round to Dunvegan Head. The return is by the same route.

we loved it there
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Wow! That looks beautiful - marked it on my map - thank you soooo much! Hmm, me thinking a day around Portree then the coral beaches just in time for the short walk then watch the sunset

I'm SO excited!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Wow! That looks beautiful - marked it on my map - thank you soooo much! Hmm, me thinking a day around Portree then the coral beaches just in time for the short walk then watch the sunset

I'm SO excited!!
photos here - of our holiday about 4 or 5 years ago - enjoy !!
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...highlight=skye
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Ooo lovely, thankyou xx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Have a fab trip. I haven't been to Skye , I do toy with the idea. If I were to go I would certainly be interested in the boat trip to see the Sea Eagles. We are off to Scotland also and I have kitted myself out with the same type of gear you have by the sounds of things!! Great minds xx Just wondering where you got your gear from? XXxxxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 02:03 PM
The beach at Talisker is a nice walk(with a dog friendly pub just opposite the distillery. And if you get the chance go on the boat trip from Elgol to Loch Coruisk (dogs are allowed on the boat) you can do some lovely walks when you land and get either an hour and a half their or a whole afternoon before heading back to Elgol.
Glenbrittle is lovely
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Have a fab trip. I haven't been to Skye , I do toy with the idea. If I were to go I would certainly be interested in the boat trip to see the Sea Eagles. We are off to Scotland also and I have kitted myself out with the same type of gear you have by the sounds of things!! Great minds xx Just wondering where you got your gear from? XXxxxxx
Oooo the Sea Eagles sound good! I'll look into it, thanks!

Best website for doggy holiday stuff
http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
The beach at Talisker is a nice walk(with a dog friendly pub just opposite the distillery. And if you get the chance go on the boat trip from Elgol to Loch Coruisk (dogs are allowed on the boat) you can do some lovely walks when you land and get either an hour and a half their or a whole afternoon before heading back to Elgol.
Glenbrittle is lovely
Oo lovely, i'll look it up now, thanks!! We definately want to do a boat trip or five!