register for free

Dog News

UK couple await birth of two clones of their dog

...has received 16 comments (page 2)
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-12-2015, 10:56 PM
When I lost my once in a lifetime dog at the age of 3 the last thing I wanted was one like him but not him.
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-12-2015, 08:28 PM
I have never even had the same breed twice partly because we always adopt so its a case of whoever needs us and partly because its not fair to compare.
A dog is more than just the sum of its parts (to partly use a quote) a dog is like any of us we are made by our experience and our life journey which has shaped us. I fail to see how a clone can be anything except a hollow image of the person/dog it mimics.

Unless these people intend to re-create their dogs lives step by step they will not be the same as they were before.,
I fear they will be left still mourning the loss of something more than a dog they mourn the loss of a soul.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2015, 07:03 PM
When you consider how different sisters or brothers from the same litter can be - I think this sort of replication is more wishful thinking than anything else.
As a previous poster suggested - just think how much good could be done for a whole pile of dogs with that amount of money.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2016, 09:06 AM
An update to this story

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/we...d-dead-7110000
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-01-2016, 04:02 PM
I thought a clone was an exact copy?

The markings on those dogs all look just slightly different..
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2016, 07:55 AM
A few years ago I had read a little regarding cloning. It is notorious for rendering very shortened life in the clones. To add to the down side of cloning, the older the host the shorter the life of the clone/s.
But since I am living in my sorrow and loss and have more money than brains, respect for Nature and God, I would pay to have my lead-dog cloned 20 times........
Since he died at almost 17 his clones would have a good long life of about 1yr&8months. So I would just have enough time to learn to love them after which I would have my heart broken by losing 'him' again and then again a bit more than a year later, then again and again and ... and ... and ...
Thanks but no thanks.
I think I'm better off losing my best buddy once in my lifetime.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-01-2016, 08:04 AM
I just saw the pic of the gene host. My (almost) 17 year old leader looked like a pup compared to this prematurely aged K9.

Maybe there has been a lot of advancements in that particular field of study.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top