register for free

Dog News

Call for ban on electric shock collars

...has received 236 comments (page 3)
buglysprince
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't like e collars, I don't like the idea of shocking my dog and have never used one, however In extreme circumstances feel that using them can be beneficial when everything else has failed, As a last resort hand on heart can't say I wouldn't try one. May be restrict where you can get them so it's still an option for extreme cases.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 06:36 PM
It is absolutely NOT about me, Ben and the success we achieved.

It is about what choice did I have with regard to his perianal fistulas. Do you know what they are? Do you know how painful they must have been? I don't know about you, but I have suffered from haemorrhoids in the past and I don't need to go into the intimate details, but if you have ever given birth I am sure you will understand what I am talking about! And that level of pain is NOTHING compared to what poor Ben has suffered.

you say you don't know what you would have done. If you don't know, then surely you are not in a position to comment and condemn. I did not inflict pain on my dog, I saved his bloody life for God's sake!

Until you can tell me what YOU would have done to save your dog's life, I will not relent.

Clearly, if you tell me that you could not have done what I did, then I will accuse you of being cruel, not loving your dog and not wanting to do the very best for your pet.

As with our children, sometimes we have to do seemingly unkind things. Take them to the dentist for painful treatment, hold their hands whilst they have to endure a painful internal examination, make them have vaccinations, discipline them and punish them when they have been naughty in order for them to grow into responsible adults.

So it is with our dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Well Gnasher, it's not the first time you have accused me of being cruel, so forgive me if I take it with a pinch of salt......
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 06:56 PM
You are just incredible ... you cannot answer me, because you know that you would have to agree with me that in extreme circumstances YOU would do EXACTLY THE SAME AS ME!!

And you just cannot bring yourself to admit that because you are too concerned about your 'image' ... sorry to be so rude, but I despise anybody who cannot stand up and say "yes, I admit you have a good point ..."

Are you telling me Jackie that you would have your beloved dog put down rather than nick him with an e collar to save his life?

I'm sorry, but if that IS what you are saying, then YES you are CRUEL!! So that must be the second time I have accused you of being cruel.

If the cap fits, then wear it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Buglysprince - I like your remarks, they are the remarks of a sensible person. I am and never have advocated the free use of e collars - I would be more than happy to see them supplied only under very strict guidelines and conditions.

There are all sorts of procedures that could be introduced to ensure that nobody could obtain one without stringent tests to make sure that they knew what they were doing. Luckily for Ben, we are intelligent people, we are quite capable of reading, researching and learning.

We have quite simply saved his life, and I am immensely proud of that fact. It takes guts to admit that you are wrong, and I think that is why so many people find it so difficult to stand up and say in extreme circumstances maybe e collars are not so bad.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Firstly, Gnasher, I don't think I've ever said that you are knowingly cruel.

What would I have done? I can't really say for certain as I don't know Ben personally. I know my Sam responded very well to consistent distraction techniques when he had a pressure sore and needed to not bother it. Jade would have responded to massage techniques as her distraction. Rosie would respond to a 'no'. All dogs are very different so each technique needs to be tailored to the dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 07:52 PM
No Chris, my remarks were not aimed at you regarding cruelty.

What I do not understand is this. You talk about distraction and massaging techniques - great, but could you keep that up 24 hours, 7 days a week, with no sleep whatsoever? I think not. I'm sorry for being a weak and feeble woman, but I need at least 8 hours kip every night to function and I am not sure how I could have got in my much needed sleep and kept an eye on Ben at the same time.

I had no choice - end of.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 08:11 PM
I said this before Gnasher on your previous thread...You made me think!I put my dog in Ben's position,with all the facts you stated,and the choices you had.I imagined my dog tormented with pain and wondered how far would I go to relieve her of that?If the choice was between a shock collar and death,would i use an instrument I detest to my very core?My head says "absolutely not" but my heart says"I do believe I would".Thank God and touch wood I'm not in that situation and not faced with that decision.My home will remain shock collar free but like I said,you made me think.
Hope Ben is well btw.xx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 09:24 PM
You really wouldn't need to keep up distraction techniques 24/7 Gnasher. I know, because I went through it with Sam and have advised other owners on techniques to suit their dog.

You said you used two uses of the collar to stop him and that distracted him enough to stop. He's used to the collar so he knew it meant 'no' so whether it was the distraction or the no that stopped in can only be guessed.

All my dogs have a trained 'no' word and none had physical correction to enforce it. With Sam, the pain did override it so distraction was added. The combination worked and worked quickly to get him to leave the very bad wound and bandaging alone.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Chris, I know you mean well but please accept that I know my dog better than anyone else and I would have needed to keep awake all night every night to stop him eating himself. There was absolutely no choice mate ... I love my Ben more than any other person or animal apart from my daughter and my grandson and I did the right thing and I will not accept what you say. You do not know my dog, I do.
Page 3 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top