Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:59 PM

puppy jabs

This is a worry for me, because Rio had an adverse reaction to Nobivac. My vet used Eurocam (sp?) for the second jab, but she had to wait until 12 weeks for that one. I don't want to risk Nobivac again, especially on a really tiny pup. For tiny dogs, should they wait till they are a certain weight before vaccinating?

I don't mind waiting till 12 weeks. All my dogs have gone out before jabs in certain areas. What do others think?
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Hiya,

Bugzy had a slight reaction to his first jab at 10 weeks old, so when it came to his second jab the vet only gave him half the dose.
When Meeka came along and I took her in for her vet check the vet said because of how Bugzy was on his first vaccination he wanted to wait untill Meeka reached 1kg in weight before starting her vaccines so she was 12 weeks old before having her first jab. Again he only gave her half a dose and she was fine
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:57 PM
I think smaller pups can get vaccinated sooner than larger breeds, that's what my vet said anyway, there's an 11 week old Fench Bulldog at my training class and she's fully protected.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I think smaller pups can get vaccinated sooner than larger breeds, that's what my vet said anyway, there's an 11 week old Fench Bulldog at my training class and she's fully protected.
That's not how I understood it. As Bugsy said her min pins had a half dose, but if they vet was giving the same dose for all dogs, wouldn't that be dangerous for smaller ones?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I only know from my own experience from what my vet said.

And that wee frenchie was at my class with its vaccination certificate and it was a teeny wee thing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:24 PM
My vets will not vax a small dog until they are at least 10 weeks of age & as I always have mine titre tested before vaxing, my puppies are at a lower risk that those that are vaxed"blind"of having a reaction
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:26 PM
How do you know this ? Has the puppy been titre tested ? if not you cannot know.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:28 PM
when my pup got its vacc at 8 and 10 weeks, it then had to wait 10 days before the vet said he would have full protection. That is what I meant.

The training class doesn't allow pups unless they have proof of this.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 05:35 PM
when my pup got its vacc at 8 and 10 weeks, it then had to wait 10 days before the vet said he would have full protection. That is what I meant.

The training class doesn't allow pups unless they have proof of this.
Proof of vaccination is not proof of protection
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
How do you know this ? Has the puppy been titre tested ? if not you cannot know.
This is quite true. Most puppies have immunity from their mother and early immunizations are useless. I am not going to go through what you can read at http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...o_brochure.asp It is specifically about parvo, but other things work the same way.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >