Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Toys, Collars, beds from Rainbow Bridge Dog

Bit of a strange one this, I lost my beloved Ton the Lurcher in April of this year and I am still struggling to deal with him not being here, I am sure many of you guys on the forum really understand this. One of the things I have difficulty with is that I have lots of his things , coats , collars , leads , toys etc and I have recently become a failed foster in Spain for a beautiful galga who has settled really well with us BUT, i am really struggling to use Toms stuff , Isla my new Galga loves to play with toys and I cant bring myself to give her Toms toys. I have bought her new ones and she also has a nice new collar and lead. Is this normal ? It seems strange not to use perfectly good items with another dog but maybe it brings back too many memories. I know this is maybe a strange post but I am sure some of you might have felt this way too ?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2016, 07:38 PM
I guess maybe its me then !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Hi Maureen there isn't a 'normal' you do what is best for you.
I don't buy new things, Chloe broke her collar recently and I realised it was 3 dogs old

The old collar was rolled leather, they don't make them as well these days.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Maureen there isn't a 'normal' you do what is best for you.
I don't buy new things, Chloe broke her collar recently and I realised it was 3 dogs old

The old collar was rolled leather, they don't make them as well these days.
Thanks Meg, its a strange one , guess its just still a bit raw at the moment, I dont like waste and want to reuse things but just cant bring myself to do so at the m moment , I always bought good quality items so a shame to waste them maybe time will help
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Maureen my sister in law took all her dog things to the local rescue when her Rough Collie died. She saw a Collie there that touched her heart so had to take them all home again
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-10-2016, 09:24 PM
For years I've always had 3 or 4 dogs (lurchers with the occasional terrier) and when I lose one of my little family I always bury them with their lead and their favourite toy or blanket. The other toys etc are left around for the others to play with as they wish.
I was delighted to read that your foster galgo is now full time and has been taken on staff.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2016, 09:45 PM
It think it is different when you are a multi dog owner as so many items are seen as communal property. I know that my husband has ancient collars and tags stored away in his garage, but my passed dogs are far more alive in my memories than they are in old equipment. We all see things differently, and if keeping Tom's possessions gives you comfort, then that is the best thing for you to do.
I am glad that you failed at fostering, and hope that your Galgo is able to fill the big shoes that Tom has left behind.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys for your kind comments , I know it seems daft but i guess i still releate Toms things to him , my foster Galga is sure filling that gap and has a big personality that she is trying hard to share , time will help to make it all ok ,I guess I didnt realise how much of a gap Tom was going to leave <3
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2016, 06:51 AM
Sometimes time seems to make it rawer.

I think of it this way now I have a dog shaped heart and it now has quite a few dog shaped holes in it but like magic time is, the holes heal over but some of the holes are never meant to be completely healed over. Maybe to you Toms is one of those.

I wish you all the best and remember your present dog does not know he is anything but your dog now. They live in the present, which is why we love them so.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2016, 07:03 PM
I think it is perfectly understandable that you might not want to use Tom's toys for your new girl, especially as not that much time has yet elapsed.

All my dogs tend to share their toys, so no-one has a particular one that relates to them, so I don't think I would have this problem. It may well be different if I only had one dog though.

Time is a great healer though. I am sure you will come to terms with the loss of your beautiful Tom if you give yourself enough time x