Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Flea/tick treatment query

I've never treated the boys with any flea or tick treatments before.

On the very odd occasion they've got a tick, I've just removed it with my special tweezer things and tcp'd it....

We've just been up to Scotland which was, frankly, tick heaven

Over the course of the week, the boys had about 5 removed each...

Their bedding has gone in a hot wash and dry, so should be ok.

BUT - should I treat them with frontline/whatever after they've been bitten? Would it do any good?
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
If the problem is ticks once you've got them off that's all you need to do. Fleas are another matter. You have to treat the bedding and carpets too I think. Thankfully I've never had to deal with fleas, but I'm getting really good at tick removal
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
BUT - should I treat them with frontline/whatever after they've been bitten? Would it do any good?
I understand that with Frontline etc. it has to be before they are bitten, (The 'active' ingredient has to get into the blood system)then when the little blighters do actually bite into the dog they die.

We have a big problem with ticks here I find they are easier to remove if they are dead. Easiest is when they are crawling around on the fur, hardest is when they have just bitten into the dog, they die when they are about half size, if they get to full size they will drop off anyway.

If you don't use Frontline (or similar) then you either have to remove them live before they drop off or catch them before they've burrowed down in the fur and they are only the size of a pin head then so are difficult to see.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
but I'm getting really good at tick removal
Do you just use finger nails or one of the many little 'gadgets' that are available
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I use advocate on my boy and have never had a problem with fleas, ticks or anything like that.
Its for;
Flea treatment and prevention
Biting lice
Treatment of ear mite infestation
Treatment of sacrcoptic mange
Treatment of demodex mange
Heartworm prevention
and
Roundworms, Hookworms and whipworm treatment.
I used this over stronghold because a dog 25kg and over you put it on three or for spots on the body.
I found stronghold made his fur go abit thin were it was applied in one spot.
Also stronghold doesnt treat or prevent demodex just sacrcoptic mange, so I figure one that does it all in one would be better.
I got a prescription off my vet and got advocte online...at the vets it was 36.00 and I got it from petmeds for x 3 pipettes 19.69.
It was here 3 days after I order it!
hope this helps!

Oh sorry just realized your asking about ticks....
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2008, 09:13 PM
The 'Tick Twister' is the best gadget I've found for getting ticks off. You don't pull just turn and the tick lets go. It is really easy to use.