Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SamanthaAV
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2016, 12:05 AM

New puppy, New anxiety.

Hi, I'm new on the forum. I'm not sure where to start but I came here because I'm troubled about my new puppy. Let me start by telling you why we got him. My husband and I recently moved across the country, we don't have any friends or family nearby and we are both very introverted and I'm especially socially awkward. Things were fine at first, I enjoyed my space but my husband has had a schedule change in which I don't see him as often and I am alone most of the day. I found myself becoming lonely and depressed as I have a history of depression and despite his dislike of owning animals my husband thought it would help if I had a puppy. So within a week of searching we found our puppy. Now I've had a puppy before as a child, though I've never asked for one. I love animals but I'm a bit of a germophobe and I thought this would help me get over it. Though it's only been a day and a half I feel like it is helping my germophobia but I have this sudden feeling of being overwhelmed. I know other people have gone through this too but I'm so scared the feeling won't go away. I feel like this is a lot to take on and I'm worried either my puppy won't like me or I won't like my puppy despite everything being fine so far. So I guess I'm wondering what I should do, or maybe how long I should expect this feeling to last.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2016, 04:48 AM
Treat each day as a new day and do something different with your new pup each day. Be positive with your out look and if something starts to overwhelm you take a deep breath sit quietly for a few moments and start again with something different to teach your pup. Each day will get easier. Write a diary of want you do. Hope that helps.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Hi Samantha, welcome to Dogsey.
Nice long walks in the fresh air, playful puppy games, meeting new people, these should all help you to combat depression. My Jack Russell helps me
I hope you and pup soon settle down and quickly learn to love each other.
Please can we see some pics, and what is pups name?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Play!

It's a great way to bond with any pet and it's a two way process, ie it helps both you and your pup.

Everyone, even the most experienced of dog owners, feels a level of anxiety when they first get their puppy, but the more you bond, the more relaxed you both get.

Good luck and try to enjoy your little one
GGermanShepherd
New Member!
Female 

19-12-2016, 05:12 PM
You have nothing to be nervous for! A puppy IS a lot to take care of but once to get the know the sweet guy they are a blast! I think you and you pup will grow off each other and gradually become the best of friends. Just play with her/him and have fun. Have a great time with your puppy. I agree with reasons stated above.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 06:20 PM
And it's perfectly normal to feel a little overwhelmed at the start. But play with your puppy, get to know him, have fun. Training can be great fun when he's ready.

Dogs are all about unconditional love. He won't care if you're nervous. He'll love you anyway.