Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 06:03 AM

Shopping fun !

I know; you must think me sad to really enjoy everyday food shopping but I do! So many years of being housebound or living on a small island where everything was delivered by boat. When i came to Ireland, the freedom to drive to the shops! Love it! All the bargains and choice and people to chat to! NO WAY would I have any delivered! Now here is an interesting situation in Kenmare where I rarely shop else. We have a franchise chain called SuperValu ( which some call Superbad valu!) and opposite in the car park LIDL built a shop. When LIDL cam to Ireland they forced the prices of basics down and were challenged in court by eg Tesco but won.. Supervalu hate LIDL! I rarely use Supervalu and rarely go to Kenmare anyway. Tomorrow, Thursday a big new ALDI opens next doort to them.. lots of opening offers so Supervalu are fighting back! Vouchers sent out.. if you spend E50 in any one transaction you get another E10 worth of shopping free...great! I never spend that much but can start dry good stocking for the winter.. then to ALDI for their bargains.. Great fun!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Lucky you Rosebud, I luuuurve Lidl. I do the bulk of my shopping there, especially on Mondays and Thursdays, their "offers days"
We have a new Aldi just opened here. We went on Monday but probably won't bother again. I wasn't particularly impressed.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Lucky you Rosebud, I luuuurve Lidl. I do the bulk of my shopping there, especially on Mondays and Thursdays, their "offers days"
We have a new Aldi just opened here. We went on Monday but probably won't bother again. I wasn't particularly impressed.
Aldi is different and takes getting used to. I go in for certain things. Their " super 6" fruit and vegetables... always a bargain at 29 cents.Chicken also a good price And their pet food also is good and their range of vitamins etc.And cakes... Just is very different. In Killarney we have all 4 big shops, ie Dunnes, Tesco, Aldi and LIDL and I get different things from each. Ali are advertising some work socks that sound ideal for my painful feet this week.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 10:40 AM
I know what you mean Rosebud because I like their face cream. My friends often bring me a pot from Germany...they won't have to any more!
The few times I have visited Ireland I liked Dunnes, a bit of everything
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I know what you mean Rosebud because I like their face cream. My friends often bring me a pot from Germany...they won't have to any more!
The few times I have visited Ireland I liked Dunnes, a bit of everything
Dunnes is my favourite. They have a really grand policy re reduced foods and they put it all our first thing. I have saved a small fortune I don't have on chicken etc there. And eaten better for that counter. Tried stuff I cannot usually afford! Far more organised and careful that Tesco. Some things are dearer but you learn I have become a keen shopper! Aldi have range of cakes from Italy.. yumm! Ah I just ENJOY it! Innocent enough pleasure! Still shaky so may be Friday before I get out but we will see.