Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ashr
New Member!
Male 

16-02-2012, 10:33 PM

Working dogs

Pls can anyone tell me if I can start my lurcher off rabbitin at 3yrs even if he's never done it before thnx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 11:15 PM
I believe its against the law to hunt animals with dogs so you cant
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2012, 08:50 AM
It's not against the law to hunt rabbits with dogs, as long as you have the land owners permission, so not a problem there.

I would say give it a go. As long as you have a decent recall, see what happens, and then decide how to move on from there.

Helen
Jpepper
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-03-2012, 07:00 PM
I got mine started on rabbit hunting this way. I went and bought two rabbits and put on some rubber shoes so my dogs can't track my scent to the rabbits then planted the rabbits in two separate places along a fence line. Went and got the dog and walked him along the fence line and used a command so he knows for certain what he is looking for. Well we got to the spot where I placed the rabbit and the chase was on and the rest was history. We repeated on the 2nd rabbit and eventually he just "got" it and knew what he was there to do and what he was looking for.

Also what helps me and the dog is using different collars for each type of game we are hunting whether it be deer, hogs, racoons etc.... as soon as you pull out a certain collar the dog knows exactly what he'll be looking for that day and anything else is trashing and will not be tolerated!