View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Canicross Grizedale Forest Cumbria anyone?

Is anyone from dogsey taking part in the Canicross event in Cumbria at the end of October?
OH is entering his first event, just wondered if we'd be seeing any of you there in the flesh?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Ooh I used to walk in Grizedale fairly regularly when I lived in Cumbria. Good luck to your OH. If I still lived down there I would come along for a nosey.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Ooh, I have thought about doing this (esp. seeing as Grizedale is only 1hr away), however, I'd probably need to be suicidal to strap a 5st Boxer to me and ask him to run
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Ooh I used to walk in Grizedale fairly regularly when I lived in Cumbria. Good luck to your OH. If I still lived down there I would come along for a nosey.
Thank you I will pass it on, probably going to need it
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Ooh, I have thought about doing this (esp. seeing as Grizedale is only 1hr away), however, I'd probably need to be suicidal to strap a 5st Boxer to me and ask him to run

He'll hav a 6+ stone Utonagan mutt strapped to him so it should be fun. He was considering running with them both together, maybe not the best idea for his first event
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I've actually been looking at this, and reckon I could manage the shorter course...

Does your hubby know anyone/anywhere that sellls 2nd hand equipment, or lends it out?

I don't want to run one of the Boxers on a collar and lead, but neither do I want to pay £50+ for something I might not use again!
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I've actually been looking at this, and reckon I could manage the shorter course...

Does your hubby know anyone/anywhere that sellls 2nd hand equipment, or lends it out?

I don't want to run one of the Boxers on a collar and lead, but neither do I want to pay £50+ for something I might not use again!
I know what you mean. I'm sure some people start out without any special gear, maybe have a look on the Canix site for some advice? It's his first actual event so we're as green as you The dogs are used to being exercised in harness so we didn't have to buy anything anyway but the competition side of it is totally new to us
Hope you decide to give it a go
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I wouldnt buy the kit from the canix webbo as i think its extortionate

i got a very robust belt bungee and line from snowpaws (he already had a snugglepets harness)

there was a doggy duathlon near us the other weekend short run then bike was v tempted but at the time the cost put me off (it was only £7 to enter but i didnt have a bike attachment/bike line/bike carrier to get my bike there and it was £25 to hire a bike and you needed a helmet so about £100!)
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks!!

Can you recommend a harness? Does it need to be an 'x' harness, or will any decent fitting one do?
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2011, 01:50 PM
A shoulder harness is better for the dog for canicross.
We bought our gear from Snowpaw, very reasonable & is lasting well.
Q&A's on Canix uk might help you though
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >