Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lmsunshine99
New Member!
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Help with rehoming

Can anyone tell me how I would go about rehoming my dog? It breaks my heart to have to make this decision but I posted a couple of days ago about him biting the postman. We were going to see a behviourist, against my instinct I have to say as I have three young children in the house and I am terrified he might bite one of them. Anyway, I was convinced it was territorial behvaiour, only when somone was trying to come into the house. However, today he launched at someone while I was walking him and bit his arm. I can't risk having him in the house so need to rehome him with someone who has got the time to retrain him and without children.

What is the best way to rehome him? How can I ensure he is going somewhere nice?

Please help me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:26 AM
The dog is dangerous---don't pass the problem on. It is your responsibility and having bitten twice at least the dog should be pts

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2009, 11:29 AM
the problems you have identified are indeed territorial (biting stranger whilst be walked on a lead can also be territorial/protective aggression)
and in no way should be regarded as an automatic indicator that he will suddenly turn on your children in the home he has grown up with.

there is no logical or canine behavioral reason to assume one leads to the other, as they are separate issues.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Please do not give him to the RSPCA, i am 99% sure he will be put down, if they will take him at all and not the pound either.
Please contact Many tears rescue, they have often given help to dogs like this, that most rescues will not take.

There are various ways to contact Many tears rescue:
1.You can call the rescue centre between 10am and 4pm on 01269 843084. We are unable to return phone calls so please try again if your call is not answered.
1.Or you can email us at sw.vanatta@virgin.net.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the problems you have identified are indeed territorial and in no way should be regarded as an automatic indicator that he will suddenly turn on your children in the home he has grown up with.

there is no logical or canine behavioral reason to assume one leads to the other, as they are separate issues.
Totally agree and great advise, see a behaviourist first before making a rescue decision.
lmsunshine99
New Member!
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
The dog is dangerous---don't pass the problem on. It is your responsibility and having bitten twice at least the dog should be pts

rune
I explained the situation in detail on my previous thread and have spoken to a behaviourist who felt with proper training he would learn not to do this. I was also advised that he could be rehomed with someone who has the time to retrain him and no children etc.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
But first try rehabilitation...pleeeease! and get a muzzle for now, when you out and in fact even in the home and never leave the dog unattended with the children.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Sadly, the odds of you finding a home for a dog that has bitten and has attempted to bite on numerous occasions are very slim. Most rescues will not take on such a dog as there are plenty of dogs that are totally non-aggressive, have never bitten, etc., looking to find homes. A rescue placing such a dog would be a liability.

Your only option would be private rehoming but again, the odds of you finding a home experienced and willing to take on a dangerous dog are minimal. The reality is that most people want a dog for their enjoyment and they are not going to get that from getting a dog with a bite record.

That therefore leaves you keeping him and managing him properly for the rest of his life or doing what was mentioned above.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by lmsunshine99 View Post
I explained the situation in detail on my previous thread and have spoken to a behaviourist who felt with proper training he would learn not to do this. I was also advised that he could be rehomed with someone who has the time to retrain him and no children etc.
Sorry i did not see your other post either, sunds as though you are trying to do the best for him and being sensible too.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by lmsunshine99 View Post
I'm not being funny, but rescues are struggling with the influx of dogs with no behaviour issues at the moment, we took 7 yes, 7 springers in at the weekend and its only going to worse up to Christmas, and if i'm toatlly honest rehomings are down.

Please try to sort his problems out, before you think of rehoming him
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >