View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SamB
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2017, 03:08 AM

Should I be worried how 2 year old dog plays with our new puppy?

We just bought home a male 10 week old Sheltie Rat Terrier. We have a female Min Pin Rat Terrier. They just started playing with eachother after two days of checking eachother out cautiously. They play pretty rough, they don't ever seem to be hurting eachother (puppy has latched on to Gracie but she handles it well) I've not seen Gracie (who is the 2 yr min pin terrier) bite or anything, but they both growl and mouth eachother all over while rolling around like crazy. Gracie was my first dog and I've never had two dogs. I just want to make sure they are supposed to be playing this way. Their tails are both wagging and they really seem to be having fun but I'm just worried.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171103_091455346.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	5784  
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2017, 09:09 AM
If you get to understand the noises they make you will soon know when to stop them playing. The noise will change and then you will know when to step in and say enough. Time Out.
SamB
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Yes I'm starting to pick up on their sounds.. puppy has actually made Gracie yelp because he bit her ear during play. They just can look so vicious when playing like this- I know it's probably normal for them
SamB
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
If you get to understand the noises they make you will soon know when to stop them playing. The noise will change and then you will know when to step in and say enough. Time Out.

Yes I'm starting to pick up on their sounds.. puppy has actually made Gracie yelp because he bit her ear during play. They just can look so vicious when playing like this- I know it's probably normal for them
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2017, 08:11 AM
It is entirely normal for pups to behave in this way. It is vital with any pack animal that the youngsters are allowed to rough-house , including our own species (to a much more controlled extent of course!) They are learning how to behave, what they can and cannot get away with and how they fit into pack/family life ... they are learning the rules, boundaries and limitations. I personally would only step in if WW3 has broken out!
SamB
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It is entirely normal for pups to behave in this way. It is vital with any pack animal that the youngsters are allowed to rough-house , including our own species (to a much more controlled extent of course!) They are learning how to behave, what they can and cannot get away with and how they fit into pack/family life ... they are learning the rules, boundaries and limitations. I personally would only step in if WW3 has broken out!
Thank you for the insight! Much appreciated. I have lots to learn on this new puppy adventure!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Spot on. As usual...........