Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve47
New Member!
Male 

26-03-2018, 02:33 PM

My dog is shaking, not walking right

I need help as in I'm running out of options

Since last week my 9 year old Jug has had some issues. He shakes and starts panting. It seems like his rear legs get wobbly and he loses balance. I had him at the vet twice to test his muscles and bone structure and to have a blood test. Everything came back fine and they are convinced it's a brain issue. This past Wednesday husband eyes were acting weird and sort of bouncing and went side to side. But that happened only once.

This past November my dog had a tumor remove from his belly that was close to the skin. They also tested that area for cancer and after that was done he was good to go.

He also has lymes disease which he has had for many years and never really bothered him.

They gave me pain meds and a medication for seizures I think it was gabupentin. I stopped the gabupentin because it made him spacey. But now when he starts to shake I put a heating pad on his back and it stops his shaking.

He goes to the bathroom like normal. He eats, doesn't drink as much as he used to. But he just rests and I usually carry him around.

I'm taking him to a different vet tonight for an X-ray
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2018, 03:44 PM
The shaking and panting could be seizure activity.

The eye shaking could be related to vestibular disease.

Of course, neither of these may apply.

Make a very full list of his symptoms and make sure the vet reads it. It may give them some clues
Steve47
New Member!
Male 

26-03-2018, 05:14 PM
I did give the first vet my full list of stuff.

Now they want me to go somewhere for an MRI scan and it costs way too much.

It's odd that when my dog shakes when I put a heat pad on his back he calms down
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Please up-date when the new vet has examined him and with what the x-ray shows. His symptoms aren't too typical of any one thing in particular.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Since last week my 9 year old Jug has had some issues. He shakes and starts panting. It seems like his rear legs get wobbly and he loses balance. I had him at the vet twice to test his muscles and bone structure and to have a blood test. Everything came back fine and they are convinced it's a brain issue. This past Wednesday husband eyes were acting weird and sort of bouncing and went side to side. But that happened only on

Do you mean your dogs eyes rather than your Husbands?

Tbf it sounds a bit like canine cognitive dysfunction or vestibular disease which is a brain issue a bit like a tia in people. Which is normally treated with vivatonin I think but not normally diagnosed via Mri which is horrendously expensive. It's normally done on a trial basis, if it works great and if not well that rules that out then, if you see what I mean. It does help with muscular skeletal issues too apparently. Just seems a bit odd to be talking Mri until other things have been ruled out. Let us know how you get on.
Steve47
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2018, 03:32 AM
Ha wow I'm not sure how the word "his" turned into "husbands"

Sorry I wrote this quickly while I was at work
Steve47
New Member!
Male 

28-03-2018, 02:49 AM
The vet didn't do an X-ray yet. But he thinks it could be intervertebral disc disease. They are going to try a steroid on him soon.

They stated as long as he isn't getting worse he should recover. He has improved slightly since the day his eyes shook. But he's still in pain
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the up-date. Everything crossed that all goes well for your lad x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2018, 08:32 PM
Sounds like peripheral vestibular disease ... i had a collie with this. It was caused by a badly infected tooth - the vet removed the tooth and he gradually stopped walking on the diagonal with his eyes flashing.
Steve47
New Member!
Male 

29-03-2018, 05:16 AM
Day 1 of the steroid they gave us for our dog he has improved already. His tail was up and curled when he went outside. He moves around more. Doesn't shake or pant. And responds better when you call his name
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >