Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

19-12-2008, 07:59 AM

"Chopsing"

Hi all

Any ideas what would cause my boxer to overly "chops" ie there is nothing in his mouth but he'll munch as if there is and produce a whole lot of slobber.

Now I know that boxers are slobbery dogs - its not this - he's never produced this much until recently and its like he goes into a chomping trance and gets his whole front legs covered in drool and slobber.

His teeth are in good condition as far as I can see - do you think that something dental could cause it?

Any ideas on how to stop him?
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2008, 08:13 AM
It does sound like it could be a dental issue. Perhaps he's broken a tooth right at the back? Is he pawing at his mouth at all? Try and look for a splinter off a twig or toy that may be lodged somewhere. How long has he been doing it for? Is he eating normally?

I would take him to the vet just to be sure. It may very well be something simple, but you are going to worry about it now until you know. Good luck.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2008, 09:17 AM
The only time my dog did this he was in pain. He came home from a run and lay down on the floor in the kitchen to cool off, he must have got cramp. I massaged his back legs and threw a light blanket over him and he was fine. So it could be a pain thing.

The other possibility is that it's behavioural, maybe he entertains himself by doing it and it's become a habit, like weaving in horses, or is he stressed out about something, a bitch in season nearby maybe?

Maybe take him to the vet for a check over and if there is nothing physically wrong he might need more stimulation or just to be distracted from doing it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Boxers are prone to growths in the mouth so I`m told so I`d get the vet to check it out.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 12:13 PM
I would say too that there must be some thing annoying him, bet he looks funny though, but worrying at the same time, hope hes ok xx