Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sophie_24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Dog and hay mite?

Hi

I took my dogs to the vet today because they had dandruff and was scratching it turns out they have mite which they either got from the hay or my guinea pigs i didnt even think dogs could get mite from guinea pigs
I was given a house spray to treat the environment and a shampoo and spray, and have had to wash all theire doggy beds.
Anyone else ever heard of this? or had the same problem?

Lesley.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2005, 09:09 PM
is it called Cheyletiella? It is sometimes called walking dandruff
Sophie_24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Yes i think he did call it that! He said the mite lives on the skin and not under it.
Carole
Supervisor

26-04-2005, 09:20 PM
I had never heard about it until we picked up our new pup last week. They routinely treat the pups with frontline for this.
Sophie_24
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I bathed them in Malaseb, and when they were dry sprayed with frontline and all the house and theire beds have been treated with a good spray, so hopefuly we will cure the problem.
Id never heard of it before now either
Carole
Supervisor

26-04-2005, 09:28 PM
hopefully someone will be able to give more advice on this I dont know anything about it apart from the name
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi carole, my rabbits sometimes get hay mite of there hay, but my vet has never told me it can pass to dogs! its a mite that causes parasitic disease of the skin.The mite does not burrow but lives on the surface of the skin biting the surface and feeding on the serum below. It causes hair loss accompanied by intense scurf, and is mildly itchy. it can be treated with ivermectin an antiparasitic treatment which is highly effective and can be given in a course of injections or as drops on the skin and shampooing will reduce the scurf. And the beds etc should be sprayed with a flea control product.Hope this helps you out a bit, also it can be passed onto humans and causes a short lived itchy rash.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi one of my collies had this as a pup and I was given Frontline to spray her with by the vet,it cleared up no problem and She hasn't picked them up again

Just a P.S Ivermectin isnt suitable to treat Cheyletiella on Rough Collies as it can prove fatal to them