Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-04-2005, 12:13 PM

Bath Times

Should you limit the amount of baths you give your dog? When I was younger my mother told me you shouldn't bath the dog to often as it's not good for their coat. Now is this true or was she just telling me thaty so I wouldn't ask to bath the dog?

The reason I'm asking is Lola has this amazing talent where she can attract mud from 100yards. Luckly as she's short coated it usally comes of with a quick brush, but sometimes when she's been roling about in the grass she gets green stains which aren't so easy to get out

I was searching through the forums and came across a thread about roling in fox poo How do you know its fox poo and not any other dog poo
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by afc101
I was searching through the forums and came across a thread about roling in fox poo How do you know its fox poo and not any other dog poo
I think it's meant to smell different.... A lot WORSE! lol

re shampooing too much - it prob isnt a good idea, so why not just use some warm water as a rinse? Rocky gets one at the mo about once a month, and hes not white coated! but sometimes I just give him a rinse and towel dry him
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
I think it's meant to smell different.... A lot WORSE! lol

re shampooing too much - it prob isnt a good idea, so why not just use some warm water as a rinse? Rocky gets one at the mo about once a month, and hes not white coated! but sometimes I just give him a rinse and towel dry him
Hi eRaze, - Thanks
So once a month is OK. wait until I speak to my mum, She told me a couple of times a year. I guess it was my fault as I wanted to bath the dog every other day when I was younger.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Ive also heard that a dog should only be bathed a couple of times a year-
it can affect the coat texture and loss of coat oils etc but many many people do bathe more than that.

Think you will need to take the decision on whether to bathe so frequently on the breed you have
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Star only gets a bath every few months or so but Finn being white will probably he rinsed down with warm water whenever he needs it (which will probably be at least once a week ) and only get shampooed every few months.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 01:19 PM
ive also heard its only meant to be twice a yr, but indie gets bathed at least twice a week! shes constantly rolling in fox poo and it reeks!!!!

u def kno the difference between dog and fox poo, fox poo is absolutely revolting!
Meg
Supervisor

26-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi Afc You don't have to wash all the dog Amy being small and having white fluffy legs gets very dirty in the fields, so I wash her legs only in a bowl .As the others say if you shampoo dogs too often you wash out the natrural oils that waterproof the coat to some extent.
Annestaff
Supervisor

26-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Baths in our house are few and far between, they all hate it so I'm afraid I've got smelly dogs!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Mine hate it too- although theyre quite happy to splash about on the beach and in the water and also great big muddy puddles
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 02:55 PM
My dogs just read the words BATH TIME and have all hidden Once or twice a year ours get one....if I can fight them in
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >