Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 06:39 PM

bloated staff pup

Hi
We are a bit concerned about buster he's 5 mths now, but i noticed about 1pm today that his belly looks realy bloated and that was before he had lunch. It feels realy hard, just read about bloat and i am now petrified, he dosent seem uncomfortable, not been sick, anyone got any ideas. I will say that his is a pig and eats so fast, can safely say i have never seen a dog eat like he does its disgusting especially with the sound effects. Thanks for listening
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Cassey, Buster sounds a right little character I don't have a clue, but be rest assured that someone on here will come on soon to give you some advice.
There are lots of Staff owners on here
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Hi Cassy I do not know a lot about bloat because it usually occurs in large deep chested breeds, however these are the symptoms...

Canine Bloat is marked by the fast and unusual distension of the abdominal region accompanied by non-productive vomiting and retching with rapid, shallow breathing. A dog with bloat may go into shock and profuse salivation may indicate severe pain

does Buster have any other symptoms? From what you have said I do not think it is likley to be bloat or he would be quite poorly by this time , sometimes puppies tummies do look large and tight,that is why it is so important to feed lots of small meals so they do not get over full has he been regularly wormed?
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks mandp, hope i do get more replies, dogweb hasent let me down yet. He seems to be breathing slightly faster then normal, i have just listened to his belly and there is alot of activity going on in there maybe thats why he smells so bad altho the wind problem is a bit better now it seems to get real bad when he was teathing.

I have recently read some threads on wormers and i wonder wheather the shop brought stuff hasent been effective, could it be worms?
Meg
Supervisor

23-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Cassey first of all IMO the best wormers come from the vets..I use Pancur..the shop stuff is not very good, has Buster weed and pooed ok today?
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Just poasted this arfter i read your reply minihaha. So it could be worms, is a bloated tummy a symptom. i have just ordered some drontel, if they have worms how do you treat it or would giving the drontel (when i get it) be enough to cure it?
cassey
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2005, 07:26 PM
yes he's just done a wee and had a drink. I get worried especially as he has already had parvo i realy dont want him to get ill again.
Meg
Supervisor

23-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Cassey Drontal is ok and worms will make the tummy distended, try to stop Buster eating so fast..one way to do this is to put a small ball in his food so he has to eat around it and can't gulp a mouthful at once HAS HE weed and pooed today this is very important .......
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2005, 07:30 PM
As has been already posted, it may be worms, Panacur or Drontal will have the dosage on the sachets, does he have rawhide chews and gulp those down, they can be very hard to digest and can cause a distended tummy.
Meg
Supervisor

23-04-2005, 07:40 PM
Cassey.. try not to let Buster drink too much in one go... if you are sure he has no other symptoms and has pooed today it may be just trapped wind..try putting him on your knee and gently massaging his tummy in circular movements to help release the trapped wind If you have any doubts about him always contact a vet...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >