Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 09:24 AM

pregnant and not eating well

if any one can help with this problem it would be a great help, i have a westie bitch who is on day 33 of her first pregnancy , millie has always been a fussy eater , she will eat something well for about 2 weeks , and then never touch it again ! i have been feeding her small portions of rice and chicken breast since the mating took place , but since the pregnancy has been confirmed (by scan ) millie has had the "runs " i took het to the vets(10 days ago ) and he suggested starving her for 12 hours which i did , i havent incresed her food at all (should be doing so by the end of the week according to the book of the bitch ) . things had not improved by this monday just gone , so i took her back to the vets , this time he said starve her for the full 24 hours , and also percribed millie so probiotics (friendly bactaria for tummys ) her temp was up but only by .2 of a degree , millie seems very well in herself and not at all poorly , but im at my wits end with worry ! is this common in pregnancy ? should i take her back to vets ? any help would be grateful , thanks
julie
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 09:55 AM
this is quite normal for a girl in this stage of whelp ...... her poo will be soft if she is only getting chicken and rice !!!!!!!!! I would never starve a mum to be just let her eat a little when she wants of her NORMAL food.... you will find that if you don't make too much of a fuss her eating will return to normal in a week or so ......I would suggest that you fed her a good quality kibble and some meat , trust me she will not starve herself and when her eating picks up she will eat you out of house and home

just a question when you say the runs do you mean water like motions with no control OR soft loose motions ?? because there is a difference
have sent you a pm
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Very well put Inca, remember wild canids do not eat everyday and they have fine litters, when nature tells her to she will eat.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi millies mum Poor thing ..all those hormones rushing around,as Inca says quite normal and she should eat again when she is ready . I would try her with white fish with the rice rather than chicken for a runny tummy (coley/cod cheeks are cheapest) and a little honey in some water to help her energy levels. Hope she picks up soon .

Sorry Housedog posted same time yes I am sure that is true..
Also women are much the same as regards seeking what the body needs hence the strange urges
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 12:28 PM
thank you everyone for your kind advice ,esp to inca for a great chat on the phone! its really put my mind at rest i will keep you all informed of millies progress ,
julie and millie
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 12:51 PM
your most welcome ...good luck and try to relax ..she will need you all nice and calm ready for the big event
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 09:36 PM
update..... millie ate all her tea , and things are lot better in the bottom area , all you veteran dw's now exactly what you are on about ....... thank you heaps
julie
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2005, 09:40 PM
thats great news MM
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2005, 07:53 AM
great news ........just keep it up and she will be fine
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Thats great news , i had a bitch some years ago that just would not eat , i ended up hand feeding her cos i was so worried.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >