Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 12:10 AM

autoimmune disease

Hi,

Im hopeing that someone on here can give me some advise on Autoimmune disease (AID)

We came home this afternoon to find one of our Xbreeds looking very sad and not herself. Shes usually hyper and into everything. I checked her gums after being told shes been like this all day (stes dad was looking after the dogs) they were white, here eyes were dull and she looks like shes lost loads of weight. She was fine last night.

We rushed Dizzy off to the vets and were told they think she has AID. The vets took blood and did a quick test which showed she is animic so was given Auntibiotics and Steroids. She has to have them in tablet form in the morning then back to the vets tomorrow night where we will have the full bloods back.

I have had a quick look in the net for info ect on this but cant find much. The vets we took her to isnt MY vets but the one Ste uses in emergancies so they dont really tell you much.

Does anyone have any experiances of AID or point me in the right direction please.

Thanks
Sarah
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

20-04-2005, 12:13 AM
sorry don't have any experiance - hope Dizzy gets better though
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 01:27 AM
I have a bad experience of AID, I lost my last choc lab pup to it, she was 10 months old and contracted kennel cough, which with no immune system couldnt shake off, so turned into pneumonia, which took her from me sorry its not very nice.

Hope dizzy makes a full recovery, my girl had it all along so was very weak from the start
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 04:27 PM
HI everyone,

Ok heres the update on Dizzy. We got up this morning and she went out to pee, it was very brown, so i called the vets who said thats normal for AID. She was very sleepy and wouldnt even drink. I walked into the kitchen to see what she was upto and there was blood all over the floor, we arent talking about pee and blood it was just blood. We rushed Dizzy over to the vets they wanted to put her on a drip, and said they think she might have Lepto which we were told isnt catching to other animals or humans. Here eyes were yellow which was due to the antibiotics (synulox) so we were told, which i didnt believe. I was called aragant as i was questioning everything.

So me not being happy about this vets we put Dizzy back into the car and took her to my vets (25miles away) there they listernd to her heart (which others never did) took her temp which was 103 C (other vets said it was normal) they are worried about her yellow colouring and that she might have Lepto. SO shes in my vets now, on a drip with a nurse with her away from all other animals.

I know its bad but at least we are doing everything for her. I have to call in the morning and see how she is doing. But so far we still dont really know what is wrong with Dizzy.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Poor Dizzy , got my fingers crossed for her, keep us updated
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Oh poor Dizzy and poor you, you must be distraught. Has she been vaccinated recently in which case she should be covered against Lepto shouldn't she? I recently had a chat with my vet about Lepto recently when having my dog boosted, and he mentioned the dogs were voilently sicking up blood - was she doing this too?

I really do know how you are feeling as my Cassie ate some poisoned bait once and we had blood coming out of both ends and she ended up on a drip for a week at the vets, andhe kept saying to me that she should have died, so keep your chin up, there is so much that they can do nowadays. My vet also said he had saved a dog recently who got Lepto, but the dog had been vaccinated, but it would have been a lot worse if it hadn't. I will be keeping everything crossed for you and Dizzy, and as I said, try and be positive like I was, as she is having everything done possible where she is.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Sadly we dont know if she has ever had her injections, the reason for this is she was a rescue at a few months old then stes ex delt with all the boosters as he was working (Dizzy was his exs dog but she didnt want her when he got rid of the ex) we are now going along the lines that shes not coverd, all the other dogs in the house are i have 2 due there boosters this month so wil get them done as usual. So far Dizzy hasnt been sick at all so no blood from that end but she was coverd in blood over her back end which the vets said they will clean her up once on a drip.

I know they asked if shes insured incase they need to do a transfusion. Shes the only one of mine that isnt as she was due to get coverd this month it was a case of young dog never been ill. But we have said do what ever it takes just dont worry about the cost.

Im now keeping a very close eye on Barney my 8yr old Cav as hes got a very bad heart, hes due his booster this month.

I will update you tomorrow if we know how she is,

Keep praying for us please.

Sarah
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi enerosar. I'm sorry to say this does sound very strangely like what we had with ours, as although she was sick to start with she only vomited up once, but the amount she lost from her back end was incredible, and we had already been sent home once at 3.00 am. in the morning, and had to wait and watch her like this until their surgery re-opened where we rushed her straight there. Think back to when you last took her out? You don't think she ate something toxic do you? My vet couldn't say whether mine was poison or not, just said it was something highly toxic, but I did my homework and found out exactly what she had eaten.

My thoughts are with you on this having been there myself, and I will definitely be saying a little prayer for poor Dizzy tonight. I hope you have some good news from your vet tomorrow morning, the very best of luck Sarah, please let us know if you can. Take care.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Mmmm, seems a bit of a quick diagnosis, however I have a friend who is very into this type of thing, she lost a beautiful Cocker Spaniel to it, would you like me to put you in touch?
Dawn.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I for one will keep praying, i know what its like to go through this
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >