Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 03:39 PM

After a dog has been spayed

As some of you may have read here, we just had Keena spayed at the begining of the month and I was wondering if there is anything that I should think about doing to keep her in tip top condition now that she has been spayed...Or does nothing really change??...Is there anything any of you have done differently or added to your dogs diet etc after you had them spayed??

Thanks
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Ive not changed our routine with Star at all. She is just the same a year after being spayed as she was before. The only thing I noticed was that it was hard to get any weight on her which is the opposite of most dogs so I had to give her a higher protein food.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I have read that it can affect the coats of certain breeds
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeh, it affected Olive's coat quite a bit, her coat became softer . She also put on a bit of weight, so I now watch her food intake more than I would normally. As long as you keep an eye on her weight, I wouldn't worry too much

Good Luck
nichola
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes we got Kiara spayed at the end of april, she is doing well we were told to keep an eye on her diet to, as some dogs may put on weight so i'd just make sure her food is weighed out and give her lots of exercise. To be honest Kiara seems to have more energy since being spayed.
rocky
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes Lel's right it can ,and has affected one of my roughs. Her coat became very soft and wool like. I also had to feed her a light diet , because she was getting fat, but she was 8 at the time of the op.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 05:34 PM
I know it's only been a couple of months since Teagan was spayed, but it's hard to keep the weight on her since then!
Same as Carole and Star!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
I have read that it can affect the coats of certain breeds
yes it can .the cavalier coat can look like wooly bear are spaying ........... i am giving sophie some oil in her food...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your replies so far everyone...

Do you all think that it seems to have an affect on the longer more silky coated breeds?...It seems this way? Although not with Olive.

I'm not sure it will affect Keena's coat to much but I guess time will tell.

Inca, what oil do you give?? Does it solve the problem with your dogs coats?

I would be suprissed if I had a problem with Keena's weight, if she so much as misses one meal she looks like a rake and she is always on the move.

Can you think of anything else to watch for or are these the main things??
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Hi myschievous. When I had my Cassie speyed, unfortunately it was just after a very traumatic time for her (4 months?) having eaten poisoned bait, but I won't go into that, but she went to skin and bone and her coat went very, very thin and fell out in clumps and went really strange, but I spoke to a woman who bred dogs and she said that was quite normal after speying, and she would grow the most beautiful coat the following year, which she actually did, I had never seen such a brilliant coat on her before! Two of my other bitches were not affected at all after having them speyed, but they were a lot older than she was. Maybe you could supplement her food with a coat conditioning enzyme now that you know there could be a problem there? Hope all is fine with her though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >