Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 09:33 PM

Cavalier with absess

Hi all, my nans little cavalier king charles spaniel is 10 months old and has various problems since she has had her. A few months back she had an absess on her bum so she went to the vet and was given some antibiotics and it cleared up fine after a week. But today she was found to have another one on her bum which the vet said is alot worse, and she would have to have it removed if it became no better in 3 weeks . Is there nothing else my nan could do for her as she is so young and small to go through a operation and i have not experienced this with my dogs. I was just wondering if anyone else had been through this and what the operation would involve. Thanks zoe
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Inca is our Cavalier expert, hopefully she'll be able to offer you some advise

Poor little pup, sounds very sore!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 10:12 PM
hi Zoe do you mean on the anal glands or bottom skin? if so ask the vet for a longer ..stronger course of anti biotics that should clear it ip ..... if not it's best removed to avoid more probs....... it's a quick operaion and she will recover quickly
just ask the vet to give the pup a heart test first !!!! very important in this breed

if the absess is on the anal gland thats a whole different matter and can lead to the glands being removed and thats not good i would only recommend this as a last resort

keep us informed ...tell ya nan not to worry
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Thanks inca for your reply, my nan is worrying like mad at the mo as she loves her to bits and she only lost her other dog a year ago , so i thought i would post on here for her and see if someone with more experience with the breed could help out! The vet did a good check over, and he said that this time it was on the anal gland . And that if it didnt clear up within the 3 weeks she would have to have the operation as it cant be left! Thanks for your help i will keep you updated!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2005, 07:13 AM
tell nan not to worry to much ...........most of them clear up on their own it may not come to an op yet ...cavaliers are well known bum scrapers LOL .......usually when you have company LOL
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi Zoe,

Sorry to hear about your nans king charles cavalier. I'm sure she will be okay. Our dog had been through anaestetic twice by the time he was 7 months old and he was just fine. He had an hernia operation when he was about 5 months and then was castrated at 7 months because someone told me it might help with his skin problems. Our vets do pre-anaestetic testing where they test their blood to make sure everything is okay if the dog is thought to be a risk or is getting old. My mums poodle had to have all her teeth out at 10 years old last November and she was fine. They did the pre-anaestetic test on her.

Let us know how she goes on
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi foxy, yes holly (ckcs) had a hernia operation at 6months, it seems it one thing after another health wise with her! she has also had a few eye problems! Anyway she may not have to have the op if its better in a few weeks!I will let you know!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:03 PM
what sort of eye problems ?
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Hi Inca, she has had about three eye ulsers, one after the other but they seem to have cleared up well and she has not had any probs since, the vet said cavaliers are prone to eye ulsers and hernias.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2005, 08:35 PM
No More Than Any Other Breed Zoe......glad All Is Well Now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >