Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Help with a very thick coat on g.s.d. please

My rescue g.s.d. has the thickest coat I have ever seen on one of these dogs, although I have always had the long coated shepherds I have never come across a coat quite this thick. I am getting worried now with the onset of the hot weather (ha ha!) as although I use a rake on most days plus of course his brushes, there doesn't seem to be a great deal coming out of him. I don't want to have himclipped, but is there something else they could do for him if I sent him to a good dog groomer? Don't get me wrong it is in fine condition, but there's just so much of it and it's soooo thick, unlike my other dog. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Helen
nichola
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Helena, Is it big Georgie thats got the big thick coat i had Zoe my aunts White GSD over two days ago and i had to give her a brush her coat is the same my uncle has cut her in a little but i don't think it looks good they have a long coat, i used a spray bottle with some watered down conditioner in it and sprayed as i brushed that worked ok but i think its just a case of a good brushing everyday, maybe someone will be able to give you some better advice ,but the white GSD seem to have really heavy thick coats don't they.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 04:27 PM
A thick coat is a good insulator against the cold and the heat,I would brush out as much dead coat as possible and maybe thin the coat underneath the dog, this way the dog can lie on stomach on cooler floors to cool if required. if you cut the coat back too much it will lose its thermal protection and the can actually overheat even with less a coat, the dog will also be suceptable to sunburn, I have alaskan Malamutes with extremely thick coats and although they are an artic dog they manage quite well during the summer months, as long as they have plenty of shade and not left out all day in the sun without a cooler area to rest.

Mo
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Yes Nichola it is big George, and from what you say it must be a thing with the whites then as I've never had it before and they've always been longcoats. You've put my mind at rest slightly Mo in that it might be a good heat insulator too during the summer. He sleeps on the kitchen lino most of the night now, but my kind o/h has said he is going to buy us a mobile air conditioner for the summer (for me, not the dogs, he said!) Anyway, I always put a paddling pool out in the garden for them for when we get back from our walks in the summer, even though I go at 6.00 am. and I never leave them outside in the heat, we are always indoors with all the curtains drawn and everything open to keep cool as I hate it too! I'm a winter girl and I hate our summers when it gets in the 30's, so I'm thinking of them in their fur coats all the time. Our garden has nice cool shady spots too. I will carry on with the constant raking and brushing now then in the hope that some more will come out, but I think he's leaving it a bit late as Cassie has already moulted her thick undercoat out now. Thanks again.
Muddypaws
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Helen
as long as he is not a show dog - you don't use these on show dogs - you could get a marrs coat king need one with few teath for the thicker coats, they will fetch as much or a little undercoat out as you like and with very little effort.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2005, 07:45 PM
I always used to look after a friends long haired German Shepherd (sadly was put down few weeks ago due to serious heart problem at 13 years old) when they went on holiday and once i decided to give him a damn good brushing.I filled 4 carrier bags with hair and only stopped because my arm was aching! Strange thing was-he didnt look any different afterwards and continued to make my carpets furry...

Very sadly missed as he was Abe's best friend and was a brilliantly behaved dog with a totally unique,very funny personality.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Muddypaws, I will try and get one of those tomorrow then.
Hi Steve, sorry to hear about Abe's pal, I bel he will miss him too. I have filled many a carrier bag of Georgie's fur, but now I do the worst of it when I'm up on the downs as I find the wind blows it away from my face and clothes! I just wish I could get a lot more out of him though, as I want him to have a sleeker, finer coat like my other one for the summer. Oh well, more elbow grease I suppose - it really does make your arm ache don't it! Lol!