Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Minpinmom24
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2017, 04:19 AM

Mom thinks my pup is "aggressive" and needs to go

So please excuse this long post! But it's a bit of a story:

My husband and I got a pit/heeler/catahoula female pup who is now about 10 months old. We also have a very senior chi/min pin male. My parents have 2 corgi/terrier mixes- 1 male 1 female about 4-5 years old. Since the day we brought our puppy home, there dogs have been very aggressive toward her- going after her face, growling and snapping at her. They scared to the point she came through their front door every time on her belly and would pee herself the second she saw them.

Fast forward to this past weekend. My mom and I took the dogs to the beach. Her two dogs were running off leash to the beach and got into a couple scuffles with each other that my broke up. The female nipped at a man walking. At the beach, I let my two off leash and I could instantly tell something was off. All four dogs were running and my puppy had one dog on either side of her (my old guy was way behind) and both dogs were growling and snapping at my pups face. The male snapped at my pups face and got her- so my puppy turned and grabbed him by the neck and flipped him on his back. My mom instantly starts screaming and grabs at my puppy's collar. I yelled at her no- grab your other dog that is attacking from the other side. My mom gets her fingers twisted in the martingale chain and starts yelling her thumb is breaking. Again I told her to let go and grab her other dog who is still attacking going after my puppy's face and neck. At this point my puppy is trying to shake off my mom and dog attacking her face and the male starts screaming in her mouth. My starts yelling "she's killing my dog!!" I had my puppy's shoulders between my knees and had her by her scruff and I told her "drop it" and instantly she did and laid down. My mom dragged her dog away but wouldn't let go of my puppy. I told her again to let go and she refused for whatever ever reason. I put my puppy back on the leash and said "mom I need you let go. I need you to grab my phone and call my husband" she let go but started getting hysterical that she doesn't know how to use my phone. At this point I realized I didn't have service so I told her to take the 3 small dogs back to the cars and call my husband. She was hysterical and I was pissed so I wanted his level head at that moment. She gathered her two dogs nd my old guy and hurrried back to the car. I plopped down on a rock and took a good look at my pup. She had a bloody bite on the side of her face which I am 99% sure the male did and that's what started this. About 20 minutes pass and my mom comes back still hysterical and forgot to call my husband. So we head back to the car. I put my pup in my car and get my old guy from my moms car and put him in mine. I checked both other dogs and besides a ton of slobber they had no marks. We go our separate ways but not before my mom gives a parting shot about me needing to "figure what I'm going to do" with my pup. I kept my mouth shut.

I got home and was telling my husband what happened when my mom shows up to show us a bruise she has forming with small puncture marks. My husband inspected it and told her to get ice it. He felt the bites where way to small to come from our 65 lbs pup and was probably her female dog.

Tonight my mother came over and suggested we get rid of our puppy. My husband and I said "no" instantly. We feel we have been very clear that we are not happy with her dogs behavior up to this point. We have put both our dogs through extensive training and plan on more. Only one of their dogs knows sit. We have expressed our concern to them before- at some point a big dog is going to have enough of their dogs behavior and will snap at them. It unfortunately was my dog. I in no way feel that any one dog was at fault- it was a bad situation from the get go, but I don't think all the blame should be on our dog. She reacted to a bite to the face. My husband told my mom he plan on being there anytime we plan on having her off leash. More classes are on the books. Her spay appointment has been set for months (now 2 weeks away). But we feel they need to do something about their dogs too. They need to stop attacking bigger dogs faces. Up until that day she had never shown any aggression- we have exposed to every situation we could. Loud outdoor festivals, kids parties, every type of farm animal, dog parks and all we get is tail wags.

Needing a few unbiased opinions on where to go from here! Thank you ❤️
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2017, 06:27 AM
I'd avoid walking my dogs with your mother's dogs. Your mother needs to learn to control her dogs, I guess she belongs to the small dogs can do no wrong school of thought.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'd avoid walking my dogs with your mother's dogs. Your mother needs to learn to control her dogs, I guess she belongs to the small dogs can do no wrong school of thought.

I have to agree with the above, you should have stopped walking with your mums dogs a long time ago, this "pack" for want of a better word, do not get on, your mother cannot see her dogs are the instigators of any issues between them so the answer is simple, do NOT walk these dog together, that that extends to any contact anywhere else.
Minpinmom24
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2017, 02:27 PM
This was the first and last time all the dogs were walked together off leash. Normally my mom has 1 dog and the other goes with my dad to work. I normally only take my pup because my old guy just can't keep up anymore. We normally take trails they have to be on a leash and with one of her dogs it hasn't been a problem- I think her dogs are more aggressive when they are together. This day was a total fluke. But I 100% agree- I will not be walking my pup with her dogs again or bringing her by their house.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Sooner or later this was going to happen, your pup, who they have bullied from day one (because no one stopped them) has matured and is not taking anymore from them, and who can blame her.
Early spaying does not stop behavioural problems, preventing them from procreating is nothing to do with behaviour. In fact it can cause problems if they are not mature when spayed, and they are not mature at 10 months, she needs her hormones at present.
I would explain to your mother that she needs to address the behaviour of her dogs, and you will attend to your own dogs.
I agree the School of Small Dogs Can Do No Wrong is a very full one.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Seconded.
I'd avoid.....
Minpinmom24
New Member!
Female 

05-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Ideally I would wait until she's at least a year to spay, but she has had one heat already and checking the calendar her next heat would be around the time our baby is due and I would hate for there to be an accidental litter while she is being watched by someone else if we are in the hospital. Plus I don't expect the dog sitter to change doggie diapers lol.

While I was expecting my mom to suggest we get rid of her- I was still stunned that she puts the entire thing on my pup. We've scolded her dogs right in front of her for being aggressive- and she says nothing. My husband is taking this all very personally- which I also expected. This is his first puppy he has raised and he very proud of all the compliments he gets on her behavior in public. I get the feeling my dad is on the same page as us, but he's not the type to disagree with my mother in front of others. I know he and my husband spoke the day it happened- and he seemed in agreement with us.