View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I have been guilty of telling people Bear is a rescue. But often the situation would have been similar to what is described above - a rude dog getting in his face, and the owner looking really angry about Bear growling/lunging and me seemingly not punishing him enough for it

I have no excuses with my other dogs lol, so I don't usually make any. I will explain to those who ask that Shiloh barks because he is worried about strangers and feels intimidated, and some nice people have gone so far as to squat in a side on position and then be the recipient of lots of wet Shiloh kisses, but usually people don't want to know so I don't say anything.
I just think if I'm focussed 100% on training and continue with this training through anything, then that speaks for itself, no excuses needed, I know Shiloh has issues and I'm working on it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh if it comes down to stopping another dog rushing mine I'll use whatever works to make the other dogs owner pay attention and get their dog under control. I don't care if it's seen as making excuses as long as it keeps my dog from feeling the need to defend himself, keeps him from being attacked or keeps the other dog from being injured or traumatised by him.

I have found a lot of people are a lot less judgemental if I tell them he's been attacked god knows how many times and is scared. Several have actually taken the time to let him get used to their dogs at his own pace which is absolutely wonderful for us as he really enjoys interacting with safe dogs, it's just convincing him they're not a threat that's the problem. Maybe some would see it as making an excuse though.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:03 PM
My dogs are generally pretty good but on the odd occasion that they misbehave, I just tell whoever's watching that they're a "work in progress" & that I'm working through any problems with training. Not that I've ever been asked why I don't stop my dog from doing x, y, z etc.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Not that I've ever been asked why I don't stop my dog from doing x, y, z etc.
I've never been asked why I don't stop it, just given all sorts of advice on what I should be doing to stop it. Spray in the face with water, pin him on his side, hiss at him and jab him in the neck, get a shock collar and shock him, yank him around on a choke chain etc.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I make no excuses for Ollie's behavior I and the family deal with it.

People coming to the house I know he will re-act to I deal with it putting him in the kitchen if they do not need to be there if they do he is on a lead. We do try to allow him to make friends if he wants but if he doesn't he is kept under control at all times less stressful for all.

When out we try not to take him places anymore where there are crowds we walk him places we know are quiet or people are going to stop and chat but not want to hug and kiss or touch him he hates this from strangers and people he is not comfortable with. We still to this day do not know why he is the way is with some people and not others the same with some dogs.

We keep him safe from trouble we love him dearly he loves us dearly and will tolerate a lot from us and the Grandchildren. We know his downfalls and warn others of them so far in 41/2 years of having him from a puppy we have had no terrible frightening encounters so must be doing something right.

We do not make excuses for his behavior this is Ollie warts and all take him or leave him. I do feel though it is my responsibility to keep him safe and others and do everything in my power to do that. I stopped analysing him ages ago as it just made me worry about his behavior once I stopped worrying about it I felt a lot happier and I am sure Ollie did too.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Mine absolutely ADORES people and is far less likely to bite than I am and I don't want to change that even if I am in the middle of nowhere alone. I taught him to bark on command instead of encouraging him to be reactive to people. A largeish dog lunging forward and barking is enough to deter most would be attackers.

I know from experience that if someone really wants to hurt you they will go through a dog who really will bite them to do so. They'll hurt the dog in the process too if neccessary. I don't know what Rupert would do if I were attacked, I would hope he'd stay out of it though to be honest.
Originally Posted by Vicki_Ann View Post
Agreed (with the disagreeing lol).

I thought it would be a good thing that Shiloh is a 'little bit' stranger reactive when he was about 8 months old, now several months later, I have a dog who is much more reactive than he was and now directs it at strange old people, strange children, strange dogs and most of all strange young man.

Bad idea. I would be sure to deal with any type of reactivity now and not think a little bit is okay. I've learnt the hard way
I dont encourage it, I will correct it. The only people the dogs are allowed to bark at are the ones behind the door, Louie will only bark for several seconds then calm down and it's only in the house, never outdoors, he's only ever been reactive outdoors by loud noises and children and even then he runs behind me and hides, although now he's grown a little - his confidence has grown and he has become a little less reactive of things and is quite a confident little boy.

Benjie however - is a work in progress, as I said before he was allowed to do all this guarding and reacting to everything, which is being dealt with as he will be living with us.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I think the middle ground is good. The need to know whats unacceptable and of course they need to know what is right. Turid's stuff is great, been a help to me in the past and its amazing how easily you then pick up on such 'tiny' signs in a dog that are of huge help/meaning
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2010, 09:56 PM
From Vikki Ann's original post
So .... who here is of the vein there is a reason for dogs' behaviour and that is key to being able to approach it the right way and who believes a dog is a dog and behaviour is behaviour so you shouldn't 'make excuses' .... and who is your role model in this thinking?

I have no role model for my thinking, but I think there has to be a reason for a dog's behaviour - that reason can be based on temperament, instinct, adaption or learned. A dog is a dog and its behaviour is a dog's behaviour (not a human's) - I think it is important to make allowances for the fact that a dog is a dog and dogs are continually trying to learn to adapt to living in a human environment and, unless they are living as feral dogs, they are dependent on humans for their needs. I don't know why we would need to excuse their behaviour - they are not trying to become humans.
Dogs have differing temperaments - some are naturally shy, some more aggressive or submissive than others - just as some are small, some are large and some inbetween. They are all different and it is up to humans to do our best to teach the puppy/dog what is expected of it, adapting how we teach it according to its needs. If it is not shown how to behave and learns it will not be successful in living in the human environment - some dogs will "fit" and suit a certain environment, others may have difficulties. Someone said "horses for courses" and I think this is especially true for dogs and people living together. What suits one set of circumstances and owner will not suit another and vice versa. I think we are lucky that we have so many breeds (and crossbreed types) to be able to find a dog to suit almost anyone who wishes to have a dog in their life.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I dont encourage it, I will correct it. The only people the dogs are allowed to bark at are the ones behind the door, Louie will only bark for several seconds then calm down and it's only in the house, never outdoors, he's only ever been reactive outdoors by loud noises and children and even then he runs behind me and hides, although now he's grown a little - his confidence has grown and he has become a little less reactive of things and is quite a confident little boy.

Benjie however - is a work in progress, as I said before he was allowed to do all this guarding and reacting to everything, which is being dealt with as he will be living with us.
Sorry hun - read your post as reactivity when out and about. I think most dogs bark at the door. I know mine do, but quieten down when told. Often the dogs let me know there's someone at the door when I haven't heard it and it lets other people outside know not to try and walk straight in!

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I make no excuses for Ollie's behavior I and the family deal with it.

People coming to the house I know he will re-act to I deal with it putting him in the kitchen if they do not need to be there if they do he is on a lead. We do try to allow him to make friends if he wants but if he doesn't he is kept under control at all times less stressful for all.

When out we try not to take him places anymore where there are crowds we walk him places we know are quiet or people are going to stop and chat but not want to hug and kiss or touch him he hates this from strangers and people he is not comfortable with. We still to this day do not know why he is the way is with some people and not others the same with some dogs.

We keep him safe from trouble we love him dearly he loves us dearly and will tolerate a lot from us and the Grandchildren. We know his downfalls and warn others of them so far in 41/2 years of having him from a puppy we have had no terrible frightening encounters so must be doing something right.

We do not make excuses for his behavior this is Ollie warts and all take him or leave him. I do feel though it is my responsibility to keep him safe and others and do everything in my power to do that. I stopped analysing him ages ago as it just made me worry about his behavior once I stopped worrying about it I felt a lot happier and I am sure Ollie did too.
Find this really refreshing, and nice I guess. I always feel like people judge me personally by the way my dogs behave, and I know that some people hold me personally responsible for any foibles my dogs may have. I almost feel, at times, like I have to say something to apologise for my dogs' behaviour (over-excited puppy greetings or else not wanting to know strangers and being worried, depending on which dog) as people get the **** if I don't 'acknowledge' their negative feelings about my dog.
Weird and I should probably get over it.

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
From Vikki Ann's original post
So .... who here is of the vein there is a reason for dogs' behaviour and that is key to being able to approach it the right way and who believes a dog is a dog and behaviour is behaviour so you shouldn't 'make excuses' .... and who is your role model in this thinking?

I have no role model for my thinking, but I think there has to be a reason for a dog's behaviour - that reason can be based on temperament, instinct, adaption or learned. A dog is a dog and its behaviour is a dog's behaviour (not a human's) - I think it is important to make allowances for the fact that a dog is a dog and dogs are continually trying to learn to adapt to living in a human environment and, unless they are living as feral dogs, they are dependent on humans for their needs. I don't know why we would need to excuse their behaviour - they are not trying to become humans.
Dogs have differing temperaments - some are naturally shy, some more aggressive or submissive than others - just as some are small, some are large and some inbetween. They are all different and it is up to humans to do our best to teach the puppy/dog what is expected of it, adapting how we teach it according to its needs. If it is not shown how to behave and learns it will not be successful in living in the human environment - some dogs will "fit" and suit a certain environment, others may have difficulties. Someone said "horses for courses" and I think this is especially true for dogs and people living together. What suits one set of circumstances and owner will not suit another and vice versa. I think we are lucky that we have so many breeds (and crossbreed types) to be able to find a dog to suit almost anyone who wishes to have a dog in their life.
So true!
I think many people think dogs should ALL do as they're told, when they're told and should be deft at dealing with everything about the human environment they live in. And if not, it's the owner's fault.
Never a bad dog, always a bad owner, as they say.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2010, 02:02 AM
hey all...good thread...i choose my battles with my pack !there like tending to 3 year olds.....gooddays bad days.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3