Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2014, 09:14 PM

Keeping computers cool

My computer sits on the desk to avoid dust etc, even so one of the cooling fans got a bit noisy(and they are silent fans) so had a look and this is what I found

The top fan filter I have cleaned not the bottom one still covered in dust. Restricted air flow = hotter running temperature

Ok so what?

Well it does make a difference. even with this "light" coating of dust on the filter can cause a computer to heat up .

A computer should run at the coolest possible, mine is running at 32c+ which isn't too bad as it is in a warm room anyway. Remember a good air flow inside a computer is best

Depending on the computer if you hold and keep down the DEL key then switch on the computer these settings may well show on your screen

My computer BIOS

So DO take off the computer case side or front to get at the filters and inside and get rid of any dust, IT can affect a computer considerably.

My computer has 3 chassis fans and a CPU fan if you have not noticed
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Effie, who builds my computers [I am now on computer number I-do-not-know - do NOT ask] hot glues a dust-collecting something-or-other inside all vents.

All I have to do is vacuum over the vents about once a month to keep all the innards clean.

But he also taught me how to remove front and side of each computer, so that I knew what was inside them and why everything had to be kept as dust-free as possible.

But I still do not understand how emails get from where I send them to where I send them?

I think I am just computer-illiterate.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2014, 12:24 AM
My son built mine to a specific requirement of mine, and that was for photography, stills and video.
So now my computer is about 18 inches away from me and totally silent

My set up , yes the desk is a mess I know
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
My set up , yes the desk is a mess I know
Hah - it is four times larger than my ickle table! My actual computer sits on a shelf next to the table, which is only large enough for my monitor, speakers behind it, wireless keyboard and mouse, and a rarely used printer/scanner/copier/fax blah blah blah.

Oh, and my monitor is a 19" square one because I refuse to have a wide screen one. I do not watch television these days as I cannot cope with the wide screen, even though it is not one of those gigantic TVs.

I actually have another square monitor on order [you have to order them specially these days] to keep as a spare, but what I want to know is why a 19" square monitor costs so much more than a 26" wide screen one?

I think I will start a "Bring Back Square Screens" campaign.