Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2012, 08:13 PM

Sourdough Bread

Anyone into making sourdough?

I started a few weeks ago and am surprised at how 'ok' it has turned out and it's all organic - no chemical or manufactured yeasts involved

It is hard work though, you have to feed the sourdough starter every day and prepare the loaf the night before, and of course knead - which is actually quite calming
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes I have made sourdough having used both the Dan Lepard and Richard Bertinet methods to make a starter

I also buy fresh yeast for the family 'normal' bread from Bertiet's online kitchen . It is lovely quality and comes through the post in a little cold bag. It freezes well too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2012, 08:47 PM
How long does your starters take to get going Mini?

I cheated on my first one (which is still going) as instead of water I used milk kefir (which contains beneficial yeasts and bacteria) and it was ready in a couple of days

I also started a spelt starter with just water but it took ages to get going. So gave up and just mixed it with my normal one - so now it is a mix of rye, wholemeal, and spelt
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I've made it and make yeast 'normal' bread. Nothing like home made
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm not allowed normal bakers yeast (did you know that until a few decades ago, the only bread we had was sourdough? )

I definitely don't get any bloating from this bread - as the soaking helps negates the pyhtates and helps break down a lot of the gluten.

Waitrose has started selling a few sourdough loaves too - but they give me dry lips (and I think their sourdough starter is actually a powdered version, and not a 'real' one). They have three varieties and the only one I like is the malted/seeded loaf.

I've been in heaven - as I haven't had bread for donkey's years!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
How long does your starters take to get going Mini?

I cheated on my first one (which is still going) as instead of water I used milk kefir (which contains beneficial yeasts and bacteria) and it was ready in a couple of days

I also started a spelt starter with just water but it took ages to get going. So gave up and just mixed it with my normal one - so now it is a mix of rye, wholemeal, and spelt
That depends on the recipe Azz I have tried many over the years. The one I like best contains yogurt and raisins and takes 6 days to ferment, temperature is very important .