View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Do you not worry about your house burning down? I've always been wary about leaving appliances on whilst out, especially after our dishwasher caught fire (luckily we were in at the time). Dave keeps suggesting we get one of these but I think I would be worrying all the time and keep going home just to make sure it was all ok
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 04:26 PM
No, I never worry about leaving it on, but mine is out in the bootroom, which I class separate from the house, although if that went up, the whole lot would!!!

I once went out and left mine "on", came home and looked at it and though hmmm, it's not bubbling and it's been on for 3 hours Then I noticed the little red light wasn't on, so I checked that it was all plugged in and "on" which it was, and THEN, I noticed that when I'd put the bladdy pot in the metal casing I had managed to trap the wire between the two, which had then burnt completely to a crumpled plastic mess stuck to the inside, so thank goodness it did turn itself off! Lol! That could have been interesting!!!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 05:01 PM
We love our slow cooker in this house! It's an electric one. It's years old but is still fantastic.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Blimey, that was lucky for you!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol! You need to fry the meat so that it seals all the flavour in, otherwise, it just seeps out and you end up with that insipid colour going on there on your plate !!!

I coat my beef in flour (you can use the cornflour though), then I fry it off, put it on one side, then I fry the onions, nice and slow don't burn them or you'll ruin the whole thing, add a bit of butter to them to bring out the flavour when you're frying them too, just golden and opaque looking. Take them out and put them with the beef. Leeks are good, chopped up and so is a green pepper, loads of flavour from a green pepper. Then add boiling water from the kettle to that frying pan and get all the bits off that you've fried. Make sure you've already got the slow cooker on so that it's nice and hot, otherwise you could lose a whole hour of cooking time if you don't. Put everything in there, and then the liquid on top and voila! I chuck my veggies in (apart from the leeks and onion and peppers) about 3/4 an hour befor eating. Another thing I used to do is, put a bit of foil over the top of that casserole, throw on some new potatoes so they sit on the foil, and there you go, you have a whole meal ready in half an hour. You can do that with cabbage or whatever too, sit it on a bit of foil.

If you fry off a couple of lamb chops then place them in the bottom of the warm slow cooker and leave them for 3 hours, they'll be falling off the bone, but browned off already coz you've fried them first! Oh it's very versatile once you get the hang of it, but you must have some kind of liquid at the bottom. When I was running a busy cafe, I used to fry off mountains of bacon, and keep it hot in a slow cooker about 10 kgs a time, it brought out the flavour, kept it hot and kept it just the same as if you'd just taken it out of the frying pan, but you won't need that much for your breakfast of course!!!
Thanks H - I will try that next time!

OK... so I have a whole chicken I want to do next any tips?

I bought some tarragon - as a few recipes suggest using it.

My plan is to de-skin the chicken, put some garlic and half a lemon in it - put the veg on the bottom, chicken on top, plenty of seasoning on the chicken and liquid up to the veg.

Sounds ok?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Fry that chicken first Azz, and put it on the bottom, sit the lemon and veg on top of it! It's always best to put the meat in the bottom, don't ask me why it just is! It gets the most heat you see, and you don't want mankey old veggies do you!!! Can you fry off a rasher of bacon and put that on top of the chicken too, that'll give it loads of flavour!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Too late only just noticed your reply and I've already put it in and it's on lol

I de-skinned the chicken (as that's meant to be the fatty part - and doesn't go crispy like an oven... so I read). Then stuffed the chicken with half a lemon, some pieces of garlic and some butter. Then sat that on some carrots, onions, swede, parsnip, cabbage, brocolli.

Seasoned with plenty of salt n pepper and loads of tarragon. And.... then some vegatable stock and some red wine.

Have no idea how it's gonna turn out
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Well that was a disaster - put way too much red wine in that's all I can taste
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Well that was a disaster - put way too much red wine in that's all I can taste
I know - ditch the dinner and drink the rest of the bottle.

Did you put in a whole chicken or chopped up, 'cos you wouldn't have been able to fry it whole?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Here's my first attempt!

A beef casserole... of sorts - well I just chucked anything and everything in!

Beef (coated in olive oil and corn flour), carrots, onions, parnsips, broccoli, swede, cabbage! Then one clove of garlic, salt, pepper, some dried rosemary and even some mustard seeds LOL!

It was ok actually - but the smell whilst cooking was a bit weird LOL!!

Served with roasted potatoes with a bit of clarified butter.

And here full plate on my new desk:

One thing I noticed, is that I probably need to season it a LOT more - as I couldn't taste much of it.
Good grief Azz, that's some plate of grub! Growing boy, are you?
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »