Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maria1175
New Member!
Female 

11-01-2017, 04:05 PM

PLEASE HELP: Crate Training our Shelter Rescue is going HORRIBLY

I know there are a TON of threads on here discussing crate training, but so that I can add in our household factors, I'd like to start my own and I hope this is okay!

Background and home situation:
  • My husband and I adopted a red bone coon hound mix (Sammi) from a shelter a little over 4 years ago. She was about 3 months old at the time, so now she is about 4.5 years old. She's about 85 lbs and sleeps in bed with us (yikes, I know).
  • We both work full-time outside the home and Sam is fine at home by herself for at least 8 hours.
  • When she was a pup, we took her to puppy class but didn't really stick with it too much, but overall she is a very well behaved and loving dog. Knows basic commands - sit, stay (ish), lay down, go in kennel, drop it (ish), etc. We can also crate her as needed and she doesn't mind it too much - she goes in there and lays down by herself sometimes in the summer since it is cool.
Enter new puppy, Ziggy:
  • 2 weeks ago, we got a new pup from a shelter. They told us she's a boxer mix, but really she's probably like 15 different things.
  • She was a stray, had lymes and worms, and they had her in the shelter for a couple of weeks before we adopted her.
  • They estimated her to be about 6 months old and she is neutered.
  • Sam and Zig are getting along beautifully, which I have been pleasantly surprised by, since Sam is generally pretty possessive over toys and food. They play well together, take naps together, etc.

Let the crate/potty training begin:
  • We bought her a new crate to have as her own (so our other dog wouldn't feel like she was losing her turf), and we started putting her in it at night and while we go to work.
  • We did some *very* limited crate acclimation (i.e. putting treats and toys in there so she will associate it with good things), but we don't have time to make sure she is fully "ok" with it before actually shutting her in, as we both work outside of the home.
  • I'm not sure if it's because she was a stray or what, but though they estimate her to be 6 months old, from what we can tell, she has to be taken outside about every 4 hours or she will pee in her crate. Often times when the dogs are playing outside, she will pee several times, it's like she's just used to peeing wherever and whenever.
  • She has occasional accidents in the house, even sometimes when she has just been let outside, but overall, as long as we take her out diligently, the potty training is going okay.
  • When we put her in her crate, she barks, whines, and tries to get out. She often does this throughout the night. Tiring her out before bed with play, walks, and not letting her nap seems to help some, but she still wakes up multiple times during the night, barking and crying.

What we have tried so far:
  • Feeding her in her crate
  • Occasionally giving her kongs with PB/treats in her crate so she goes in on her own (but she will never stay in there on her own).
  • We set our alarm and one of us takes her out once during the night so she doesn't pee in her crate.
  • One of us goes home during the day to let her out to go potty, take her for a walk, etc.
  • Any time she pees or poops outside I immediately say "Yes, good potty" and give her a treat, hoping that she will think "huh, I should hold it 'til I get outside so I get a treat."

So I need some advice:
  • How do I get her to stop barking in her crate?
  • Should we consider some kind of correction when she does bark?
  • Should we just wait it out? She can bark for hours on end and we are not sleeping.
  • Should we put the crate in our room with us?
  • How do we extend the time between potty breaks?

Any advice you could give on this topic would be SO appreciated. I have to be the strong one here -- if not for me, that pup would have been in our bed the FIRST night (my husband is a huge pushover).

PLEASE HELP. I'm so tired
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sammi.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	5388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziggy.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	5389  
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2017, 04:35 PM
I'd either put the crate in my bedroom or take to sleeping on the sofa with her crate close by. That way when she starts whining you can talk to her quietly and put your fingers through the bars so she knows your close by and hopefully she'll go back to sleep. I'd just tell her "quiet" and talk to her telling her to lie down.
As for toilet training just carry on as you are and she will get there eventually.
Maria1175
New Member!
Female 

11-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Thanks for your advice!

Several people have told me that we should just ignore her barking, if we give her any attention she will learn that barking gets attention. But it's so hard to ignore a sweet little pup
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-01-2017, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't ignore her she needs to know she hasn't been abandoned. I wouldn't let her. out of the crate just cause she doesn't want to be there but I'd certainly let her know I was still there. I can't just ignore a dog barking either, especially at night.