Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Why would my personal circumstances have to do with anything? Whatever job I had, whatever violence I had suffered, whatever loved ones I have does not affect the basic concept that society is better run with a police force and a justice system than people going it alone and responding to crime with anything other than immediate self defence measures.
well it would have an awful lot to do with it i think. you seem to think that everything can be sorted out by talking, or going to the police. i was just wondering if in fact you've ever had any dealings with the police due to being harrased, threatened, assulted, etc.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Why would my personal circumstances have to do with anything? Whatever job I had, whatever violence I had suffered, whatever loved ones I have does not affect the basic concept that society is better run with a police force and a justice system than people going it alone and responding to crime with anything other than immediate self defence measures.
do you really think that the justice system in this country actually works then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Yes and considerably better than anarchy.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe if the police force were better equipped to deal with violence in our society, we may not need to have this 'vigilanty (sp) style approach to it all.

I know of some incredibly nasty people who wouldn't even bother with the police. They deal with it in thier own way. If the police are called, then you expect to be wearing concrete wellies in the bottom of the local river for your troubles. The way these people look at things is that you run to the police, your nothing more than a snitch, which they don't take too lightly.

After living in an area that housed some incredibly shady characters (the police don't ever go there single handedly) I've had my fair share of rows with the locals. In the beginning I used to go to the police and not hing was done, other than statements. It was a case of 'he said, she said' I was then subjected to the whole estate giving my crap about being a grass

I learnt a very valuable lesson that day. You deal with things in the only manner that they understand
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes and considerably better than anarchy.
oh dear. are you not going to answer my other question then?
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
This is a very interesting thread!

If I had to protect myself or my family or friends, I would not hesitate to resort to violence to protect them.
You would not be in a position to offer any protection or even any real involvement to your family if you are in prison. Assuming you are not talking about immediate self defence it seems a fine ideal to imagine you would fight for your family but the moment you engage in violence you are at great physical risk yourself unless you are pretty good at it. Even if you succeed in handing out personal justice you may just be leaving a legacy to your family of someone else wanting to deliver their justice in revenge. Apart from never being justified, violence just tends to breed more violence.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Interesting thread....

I think that it all stems from our goody goody liberal society thats been created... No discipline in schools etc and no rights for the victims of crime...Yet a shedload for the criminals.... It's all about these poor criminals, because they were brought up in a poor area, or because they had a hard childhood blah blah blah.. excuses.. while Joe Blogs gets hassled with the full force of the law if he tries to protect his family/home etc... Police are too busy chasing motorists.. Governments too busy banning things .... and if we are lucky enough to see the criminals behind bars.. it's all play stations and perks... oh and let out early for good behaviour... And a nice smart lawyer to help them sue because the poor souls had to slop out... or because they couldn't vote..... Catching my drift here.......

Smacked bum when kids misbehave... proper discipline in schools... hard labour for prisoners, with time added for bad bahaviour (as opposed to time off for "good") Proper policing and proper law and order....... and maybe then I'll leave it to the authorities... But for now... I'll take care of my own and my families safety...and if the authorities want to lock me up for it.... well theres always the play station at lockdown time eh... hey, might even get internet and stay on Dogsey all day
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
oh dear. are you not going to answer my other question then?
If you can convince me which job, which experience and how many children it takes to be able to rationally consider social issues I might consider answering you but at the moment I consider it irrelevent.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Interesting thread....

I think that it all stems from our goody goody liberal society thats been created... No discipline in schools etc and no rights for the victims of crime...Yet a shedload for the criminals.... It's all about these poor criminals, because they were brought up in a poor area, or because they had a hard childhood blah blah blah.. excuses.. while Joe Blogs gets hassled with the full force of the law if he tries to protect his family/home etc... Police are too busy chasing motorists.. Governments too busy banning things .... and if we are lucky enough to see the criminals behind bars.. it's all play stations and perks... oh and let out early for good behaviour... And a nice smart lawyer to help them sue because the poor souls had to slop out... or because they couldn't vote..... Catching my drift here.......

Smacked bum when kids misbehave... proper discipline in schools... hard labour for prisoners, with time added for bad bahaviour (as opposed to time off for "good") Proper policing and proper law and order....... and maybe then I'll leave it to the authorities... But for now... I'll take care of my own and my families safety...and if the authorities want to lock me up for it.... well theres always the play station at lockdown time eh... hey, might even get internet and stay on Dogsey all day
pmsl ian!!!
we can always count on you to lighten the mood can't we!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm sure if you keep the police informed of any threats they will take action.
Why are you sure? After six years and no action taken, how can you possibly make that statement?

Out of curiosity, do you have any children of your own?

Your profile only states that you are female, with no other information, not even what type of dog you own - I have to say, I find this rather odd.....
Page 5 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »