Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gilly1
New Member!
Female 

31-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Lost dog passport

Hi
i have lost my dogs passport, she was born in spain so had a spanish passort and micro chip we brough her over 5 year ago but are now moving back to spain in april but have lost her passport, how do i replace this will she need to have the rabies blood test again or just her rabies booster etc
thanks
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2014, 02:04 PM
https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners if you go to yourvets I think you'll find they can sort it out for you along with the requisite vax. Rabies vax has to be given a certain length of time before travel.
gilly1
New Member!
Female 

31-12-2014, 02:15 PM
How will my local vet know any details as i dont have the passort can they get the details from canning the chip
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Just take your dog to the vet get the rabies vax & your vet will issue new passport, haven't needed blood tests for at least 2 years. Your dog would need a new style passport from 29th December 2014. The vet does not need to know any details from previous PP as the Rabies vax only lasts 3 years at the most

Enter the UK from the EU or a listed country

When you enter or return to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs to meet the entry requirements. These include:
a microchip
a rabies vaccination
a pet passport or third country official veterinary certificate
a tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)
The rules for travelling to Spain are the same as for travelling to the UK, except dogs do not need the tapeworm treatment as the tapeworm variety is not found in the UK, you do not need to use an approved transit company, but must use the ports/airports that are part of the Pet Travel scheme.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Your dog needs to be chipped to have a pet passport so they will either locate your details or get you a new one, I would imagine you will have to have a new rabies vax anyway, I think it has to be done every year in countries that are not rabies free.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Your dog needs to be chipped to have a pet passport so they will either locate your details or get you a new one, I would imagine you will have to have a new rabies vax anyway, I think it has to be done every year in countries that are not rabies free.
ALL the vet needs to do is to scan the chip record that on the PP, give the vax & record the revax date & issue a new passport, they will NOT be able to access details of a previous PP from the chip especially as the PP was issued in Spain
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2014, 03:09 PM
You have a vast wealth of experience on this sort of stuff Joedee and I have none except what I've read up on and been told, my personal instinct would have been to get the vet onto it and take it from there.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2014, 03:09 PM
All my dogs and cat were microchipped and vaccinated in Hungary, where they only have the yearly Rabies vaccination. I'm not sure whether the same applies in Spain, but in Hungary my vet has a record of all the dogs that he's microchipped and the details are sent to a central registry in order to identify any dog that might have been lost or stolen.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2014, 03:15 PM
I would have expected all of it to be linked to the chip number otherwise why bother to chip and make it mandatory to chip a dog before it leaves the country.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
All my dogs and cat were microchipped and vaccinated in Hungary, where they only have the yearly Rabies vaccination. I'm not sure whether the same applies in Spain, but in Hungary my vet has a record of all the dogs that he's microchipped and the details are sent to a central registry in order to identify any dog that might have been lost or stolen.
Microchip numbers are registered with the Ministry of Agriculture, under the owner's ID number. Both Little One and Pereg were chipped by Dr Vadim, our Local Authority Vet, when he came to give them their first rabies shot.

Rabies vaccination is also mandatory yearly, and that, too is done by LA or Municipality vets and registered with the MoA under the chip number and the owner's ID number.

I do not know about pet passports for dogs as I do not know anyone who has ever taken a dog out of the country.

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I would have expected all of it to be linked to the chip number otherwise why bother to chip and make it mandatory to chip a dog before it leaves the country.
Presumably so that if the dog is lost in a different country and then picked up, the chip will show which country the dog came from.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >