View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 01:35 AM
I am not talking about remarks. Those hold no power at all. Who cares if someone says something offensive? How does that hold me back? Racism, prejudice, and bigotry have very little to do with words in my opinion. There are far worse insults than racial ones. Unfair treatment is just that, unfair treatment, there do not even have to be words spoken. I also believe bigotry is hardwired to some degree, even in the wild. It can be seen in lioness packs against males and also in other cases sometimes. Its somewhat natural to prefer your own kind, and its also natural to think your own kind look a lot like you, even if technically youre the ssme species. And it takes a mental adjustment to get around that. There is no excuse for racism or prejudice from anybody, but it bothers me very little because its just how things work. Like I said, life is not, and never will be fair. Perhaps that is complacence to you, but its realism to me.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2014, 08:50 AM
I thought the subject of fox hunting was the subject under discussion
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I. I also believe bigotry is hardwired to some degree, even in the wild. It can be seen in lioness packs against males and also in other cases sometimes. .
The lioness is not showing bigotry towards the male of the species , its a natural survival instant, they stay together as a "family" to rear the young , hunt as a pack and to protect themselves from any invading males.......... this is not bigotry , animals have not concept of it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Fox hunting is a matter of sport, nothing more, nothing less. It has little or nothing to do with pest control. If it was, it would have died out years ago as being totally ineffective.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2014, 09:53 AM
mjfromga

To put you in the picture, here in the UK there has been a huge discussion about fox hunting and should it be banned.
Even our government got involved and passed a law banning it. Our national news papers and TV were full of it for weeks showing hunting and protesters.

This is why the question was asked by the OP

Now there are those anti hunt and others pro hunt and the anti hunt brigade went out of their way to disrupt any hunting of foxes. So now there is still hunting but not for foxes but drag hunting where the hounds follow a trail instead.

Because foxes are now so prolific and causing misery to chicken farmers and rife in urban areas the question is now being asked in parliament again should we ban foxes?

One of the different points of view is because of where people live. Those living in cities and towns mainly don't think foxes cause much trouble and should be left alone.

Elsewhere those living in the countryside may have a completely different opinion as they see first hand how foxes can for example go through a hen house and kill all inside, not to eat but just to kill.

Hence the strong difference in peoples feeling towards fox hunting

Just to add to the confusion farmers are allowed to shoot foxes providing they can do a "clean" kill and not leave a fox injured

I know that in the USA a lot of news outside the USA is not broadcast.
It tends to be more about America and internal and external events and what goes on in the European theatre is overlooked

So am I for or against fox hunting? I can see both points of view and both present a strong case.I do like to see a fox in the "wild" but not in urban areas, that is not their normal hunting ground but allowed more so now hunting is banned. Watching huntsmen on horses in the hunting livery is something else and been part of the rural scene for centuries.

So I have to sit on the fence on this one and let others fight it out
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I am not talking about remarks. Those hold no power at all. Who cares if someone says something offensive? How does that hold me back? Racism, prejudice, and bigotry have very little to do with words in my opinion. There are far worse insults than racial ones. Unfair treatment is just that, unfair treatment, there do not even have to be words spoken. I also believe bigotry is hardwired to some degree, even in the wild. It can be seen in lioness packs against males and also in other cases sometimes. Its somewhat natural to prefer your own kind, and its also natural to think your own kind look a lot like you, even if technically youre the ssme species. And it takes a mental adjustment to get around that. There is no excuse for racism or prejudice from anybody, but it bothers me very little because its just how things work. Like I said, life is not, and never will be fair. Perhaps that is complacence to you, but its realism to me.
I am never complacent about anything, certainly not something as extraordinarily illogical like racism ... Which in any case only shows up the perpetrator as Ill-educated and ignorant. Life is not fair, that is true, but I certainly will never be complacent about something I consider to be wrong.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2014, 06:58 PM
As for the foxes, they do not cause any real harm here. They attack house cats sometimes and can carry rabies, that is about it. They are not often seen and are easily gotten rid of, so I cannot speak on the issue that seems to be happening in the UK.

As for outside news not being broadcast here, that is true enough, we have too much going on here to be worried a ton about other places. There is news broad casted here that is not about here, but you have to look really hard for it, and most of us don't... for fairly obvious reasons.

In my honest opinion, the USA worries too much about other places as it is, no need to broadcast it, as well. Jump on me about that if you want, but I truly believe it. Our presidents and government often seems more devoted to dealing with the problems of other countries instead of our own.

America's law on animals seem to be far different than the UK's laws. It's like who cares? Nobody wastes time on laws about animals, that is not even remotely important to our government. As an American, admittedly I sometimes find myself of the same mindset.

Here we are, about to go to war over something stupid and cost many innocent people (and animals if you must) their lives, and they are running ads on wearing fur being animal abuse. Nobody cares, fur coats aren't always animal abuse anyway.

Again, I think animal intelligence is beyond mere instinct, which is something many people disagree with me on. I read a lot about it (also watch tons of specials about it) and there is a ton that points to many animals having reasoning abilities and other cognizant thinking patterns that are far more than instinct.

I truly have nothing else to add here. This is a UK discussion, anyway and last I checked, I'm neither from there nor have (or likely will ever realistically) been there. Don't get all offended by that, I'll likely never travel to any other country, either. It's not my thing.
charlew
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Hopefully the Tories won't get their way.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Fox hunting is a matter of sport, nothing more, nothing less. It has little or nothing to do with pest control. If it was, it would have died out years ago as being totally ineffective.
This with big brass knobs on !
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3