View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Um I think the pup if a rescue should be a bit older than 4 months. Mind you couldn't you take it to work with you if possible?
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Thank you Charmy and Frenj..

I work from home mostly, although I do go into the office daily for a few hours.
Joys of having a job that can be executed entirely online/remotely, but then it's only a 5 minute walk to the office .
Still, I do have responsibilities during this time, so whilst quick potty breaks in the garden are possible, I wouldn't be able to go for long walks during this time.

The dog's schedule mo-fri would look like this:

Morning walk between 8-9AM (40-60 mins with play in off leash areas)
Breakfast
Before work walk at 11:00 (30-40 mins leash walk)
After work walk 17:00 - 18:00 ( (40-60 mins with play in off leash areas)
Din dins
Before bed potty run 22:30 - 23:30 .. quick 20 min leash walk.

It's not "nothing" when it comes to exercise, but neither am I running marathons or doing sled-dog suitable athletics to keep a high energy dog happy and I want the dog to be happy and satisfied.
During the summer - if the dog takes to it - I do love to cycle, so that would be a little more intense, but it all depends on the dog if she could be part of that. Safety first!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Having both shepherds and collies I can entirely understand your desire to stick with these breeds

In your position, I would look at either adopting an older shepherd either from a good breed rescue who will fully assess the dogs in their care to ensure they match the right dog to the right new home, or possibly look at breeders who may have older dogs looking for homes. A friend of mine recently rehomed a ex brood bitch from a breeder and it is a match made in heaven. My friend gets to have a lovely natured bitch with full history and the lovely girlie has her own fireside to retire to.

If you think a collie would be more appropriate in your current circumstances, then definitely contact the Border Collie Rescue people in Yorkshire. I completely support this rescue as they fully assess their rescue dogs for working potential (with sheep) initially and thereafter for other working roles such as SAR. If a dog shows no desire for work then it is found an active pet home.

If you prefer a pup then I would suggest a shepherd would be more suited than a working bred collie (although a show bred collie may be an option?) and I can highly recommend working lines. My WL is definitely higher energy and drive than my others, but he also is completely level headed and balanced.

I look forward to hearing how you get on in your search.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2014, 04:38 PM
Take a look at GSDR, lots needing good homes
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Take a look at GSDR, lots needing good homes
I must have submitted at least 4 adoption and foster applications, they never get back to me. I guess there's something on there they don't like, probably the fact that I don't have 5"ft + fences in my garden.

I never leave my dogs out in the garden on their own, but I guess they can't take that chance when going through their selection process. I can understand, especially with rehoming, that they want to make sure they get it absolutely right and the dog gets a perfect forever home.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Well as with all things: Man plans and the Gods laugh
The irony of it all doesn't escape me, but after months and months (years) of meticulous planning and research I have ended up taking in a rescue puppy for Christmas

Just about the most impulsive and emotional thing you can do when getting a dog and something I would have always cautioned against, but here we are.

Friend of mine has an aunt that fosters for a local rescue and they got bombarded with a litter of 8 GSD mix puppies. Owner didn't want them and tried to get rid at once, but they managed to convince her to keep them with the mum till 6 weeks at least.
All we know for sure is that mum is a black long haired GSD, father unknown, but might be some sort of lurcher or greyhound ( I guess mum escaped and had an incognito liason ? ) .. SOOoo.. she is my mystery puppy

She is a lot more vocal than any puppy I've ever had, she vocalises for pretty much everything and even in her sleep!
Fully of beans and I have absolutely no idea how big she will get. Her legs seem very gangly for a 9 week old puppy, which is where the Greyhound dad might come in.

I've tried to find some info on GSD x lurcher crosses, but couldn't find a right lot. The few links I did find suggested they were not bad dogs, but a bit slow/thick LOL
Not noticed that at all. She picked up sit/down/shake/leave it in a day (albeit with a very small training bubble and food present always).

Anyway, I'll throw some pics up on the intro thread, but I just wanted to give everyone who's been so kind in offering their advice an update
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4