Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 10:26 AM

Outlook Backing Up Problems/Mistake?

I was looking into backing up Outlook Express mails as I still haven't downloaded Windows SP2. I found Outlook files on the computer under Documents & Settings ... Local Settings-Application Data-Identities but when I tried to open these folders I chose Word from the list that says 'open with' and now I can't get them back to what they were originally.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm on about and can anyone help? Does it matter if they're in Word format (still unreadable)- can I still just back them up onto a disk?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Hello

Do you mean that when you go to open saved emails they don't open as a email anymore just text document?

You could just try right clicking on each saved email and changing the file extension to .eml

Try it on just one test one and then try to open it and see if it opens as a email.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Nope I just tried that and it doesn't change anything I don't think!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 03:21 PM
When you right click on the file see where it says 'open with' does it give you a choice of word pad or similar or outlook express? You can choose Outlook Express from there if so.

Edited to add: When saving the emails it gives a drop down box for you to save them as Mail (.eml) or Text Files (.txt) etc Do you still have the original emails? Could you try re saving them, making sure you save them as Mail (.eml) Then this time when you go to open them choose nothing but Outlook Express if asked.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey Mys, thanks for that. It does give a choice of Word Pad, plus other applications such as PowerPoint, Real Player etc. but no Outlook Express. It hasn't affected e-mails in Outlook Express though.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 04:34 PM
When you right click the address book go to properties and change what application it opens with.

My outlook express says it opens with address book (now thats an understatement)

If you want to back up your messages click on the folder you want to save then file/ export/ messages then it should back up your E Mails for you.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hey Mys, thanks for that. It does give a choice of Word Pad, plus other applications such as PowerPoint, Real Player etc. but no Outlook Express. It hasn't affected e-mails in Outlook Express though.
So what are you trying to do back up the address book or emails? Cuz I was banging on about emails
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 05:12 PM
If you want to try to resave the address book so it opens properly:

Open up Outlook, Right click on any name in the address list, scroll down to 'address book' Click 'File' then 'Export' Then 'Address book', Choose the location, give it a name and make sure where it says 'save as type' it says 'Address Book Files (*.wab) then click save.

Then go to where you saved it this time round and try opening it, it should just open as outlooks address book.

(If you can't initially see address's once it's opened click on main identity or something that should bring them up)

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks guys - am I confusing you enough yet? . I just want to back up everything really because it says to do that before you download SP2. I only want to have SP2 because our re-writer is broken and the new one says to have SP2. Incidentally our router has also given up the ghost so I can't get on as much when the baby is awake.

Someone where the OH works just told him to do this:

When looking at the individual OE folders in Documents and Settings:

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types. Now scroll down and find "DBX" on the left, highlight it and click on "change"
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 06:57 PM
if you cant read them i wouldn't put them on a disk it will properly be the same here is the page for office help next time take the tip and find the program on the net

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...CL100626971033
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >