Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sharkbait556
New Member!
Female 

16-07-2008, 12:31 PM

?cherry eye

I think my bulldog has a cherry eye, He has got a swelling in his right eye in the part of the eye closest to his nose. What threw me is this morning it had totally vanished and as the day had gone on it has reappeared.
Any suggestions guys.
Thanks
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you mean in the tissues surrounding the eye ball or in the eye ball itself ?

Info here on Cherry Eye if it helps

http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information/cherry-eye.php

but best to get the vet to have a look and see what`s going on as internet diagnosis is impossible, the most anyone could do is speculate, which means it could be suggested as anything from a speck of grit causing irritation to a serious condition needing surgery and if any of us suggested something which does`nt involve the vet confirming or otherwise diagnosing it could have serious implications for the health of your doglets eye
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:53 PM
No experience of it in dogs but one of my rats has what is called a Hardarian Gland Tumor which is the same thing. It comes and goes and so far has caused him no bother at all. I won't be doing anything unless it causes him problems when I will rethink it
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi I have two American Cockers that have cherry eye. In both cases the nictitating (? sp) gland slips in and out of position. It's common in breeds that have round forward facing eyes, which both American Cockers and Bulldogs have.

Both have been seen by the Vet in the first instance, and with the approval of the Vet I decided not to have them operated on, because I can manipulate the gland back in very easily.

In more severe cases the operation involves either tacking the gland in the right position, or removing it altogether.

Dawn R.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I've seen dogs with 'Cherry eye' best get your vet to check it out first, then you can discuss what the best course of action would be. Hope you get it sorted out xxxx
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Definately have a chat with the vet then take it from there.

Heidi