Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 09:52 PM

Having to give agility up!

Fenns fear aggression is really bad since she got attacked by the Akita in the summer.
I've been working really hard on her agility over the last few months. She gets so snappy with other dogs. She just gets so stressed with them. Before her attack she was ok. Its really disturbed her.
Blue can only do abit in the garden. he got attacked when he was a pup, he also has fear aggression.

Skye had a back injury, the vet advised me it was best to retire her.

& now Fenn. I love agility. I will still do abit with Blue & fenn in the garden. Hopefully fenn will recover from her ordeal. It was a really nasty attack, so i can't really blame her for being protective. Nothing will distract her. She even foams at the mouth when she snaps.

I will make the agililty ring one day. It might be on my zimma frame
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that,such a shame and poor Fenn,i hope given time she gets over the attack,bless her x
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 10:26 PM
oh no hugs + kisses from us i am sure you will again
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 10:56 PM
arr that is such a shame x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 11:00 PM
I am so sorry to hear that as I do understand how difficult it is having one with fear aggression.
My Shady suffers with it after being bitten and nipped, but I am very fortunate having Patch as my instructor because she lets me do the class with Milo and then after class I take Milo home and get Shady and come back with her once all the other dogs have gone.
If theres not time then we will arrange a mutually convienient time and meet and give Shady a session that way.
Is there anyway you could do similar with your instructor? Seems a shame to have to give it up when the dogs love it as much as we do.
Here is a pick of my Shady coming out of the tunnel taken tonight by Patch.

Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Hiya
Yeah ihave some equipment in my garden, so i will still do abit of training with them. Blue gets so excited he bites me. I have to wear gloves

This is me & Blue practising our left & rights

Its good mental exercise so i will still do abit of fun work with them.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Aw Jules, its such a shame when something happens which can mentally scar a dog so much

Please, please don`t give up hope though, there is plenty of time yet to help her overcome it, and there are instructors all over the place who do one to ones which could help her regain focus without the pressure of other dogs around until she can cope better :smt001

Have you read this article by any chance ?
If you scroll down it you`ll see a familiar name with a dog just like your Fenn

http://www.agilitynet.com/reviews/an...ialpowman.html

I`m hoping it might give you a chink of light as you move on through this with her in whatever way works best for you as a team :smt001
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Jules I 'm sorry to hear that, your gonna have to get another pup lol...I'm starting a new training class tonight with the wee guy's they do agility I am really looking forward to it, its something I 've always wanted to do and never got round to it...Did you compete ?...Also on the fear agression, My last dog Suki was very defensive on the lead because she was attacked from a very young age other dogs would not tolerate her at all and for no reason would walk up to us and I would shout to the owners would you put the dog on a lead please and they would say obviously your dogs the one with the problem it was really frustrating, the last attack on her was a GS she ended up with 39 staples again Suki was on the lead the GS was off, it did'nt stop attacking till Suki passed out...I was so afraid of dogs after that, and I was a Park Ranger at the time so it did'nt help me in my job.