Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Is it possible to get him interested in a stuffed kong or something or do you feel he is too hyped up to take notice of it?

If he is a bit hungry before class, and you then try a stuffed kong, he may be quiet and gnaw at it, which also could be soothing for him as chewing is quite a good calming thing for dogs

It may not work but just a thought.
He has a stuffed kong at work to keep him occupied so he does like them, but think he might be too hyped up to settle with one thats the problem I have with the training he's so hyped up he's not interested enough in the treats in my hand to pay attention to me rather than everything else going on! At home he concentrates really well and learns very quick but at classes the last few weeks he's just too distracted
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 08:07 AM
What treats are you using as rewards Hannah?

Does he have a meal before class? Agree with Wysiwyg, if he is a bit hungry you are more likely to get his attention.

I assume you have taught Loki to 'watch' you?

Why not try having some really super, high-smelling treats that you use only in class and only for compliance with the 'watch'? If you can get him to turn round and focus on you rather than eyeballing and getting over-excited at the other dogs and what they are doing that would help

I do think, though, that it is just a matter of time before he settles and takes the class situation in his stride. I have had many 'off the wall' dogs in training, but they usually become accustomed to the situation after a couple of weeks if the owners get the focusing right (and sometimes even if they dont )

Another thing to bear in mind is, if Loki is teething and in a little discomfort that can cause problems with training.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
What treats are you using as rewards Hannah?

Does he have a meal before class? Agree with Wysiwyg, if he is a bit hungry you are more likely to get his attention.

I assume you have taught Loki to 'watch' you?

Why not try having some really super, high-smelling treats that you use only in class and only for compliance with the 'watch'? If you can get him to turn round and focus on you rather than eyeballing and getting over-excited at the other dogs and what they are doing that would help

I do think, though, that it is just a matter of time before he settles and takes the class situation in his stride. I have had many 'off the wall' dogs in training, but they usually become accustomed to the situation after a couple of weeks if the owners get the focusing right (and sometimes even if they dont )

Another thing to bear in mind is, if Loki is teething and in a little discomfort that can cause problems with training.
Thanks SB Loki has extra special treats just for classes to try to make them more appealing i.e. small bits of cheese, or sausage or chicken and he doesnt have a meal before classes and doesnt eat dinner anymore so wont have had a meal since breakfast so should be hungry I have taught Loki to 'watch' me when I say his name but its like he totall blanks my voice out when he's really hyped up he was doing brilliantly at these classes until the recent change I am hoping when he gets used to it being different he will settle again, although I do think in general he is being more hyper and less focused and of course the barking so wouldnt be suprised if his teething with him getting older and perhaps going through adolesence is causing the change in his behaviour.

Was wondering the other day if his recent change to cocking his leg is an indication he is going through adolesence? (timing ties in with him is barking and being less responsive too)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Leg-lifting is a very good indication that the time has arrived

All you can do is work through this phase. Do not allow him to get away with disobeying commands that you know he understands. But be careful not to reprimand him for what may appear to be disobedience but is actually a lack of understanding on his part.

If our dogs do something 'wrong' it is never their fault. It is our failure in teaching/showing/guiding them in the correct responses to commands and situations
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Leg-lifting is a very good indication that the time has arrived

All you can do is work through this phase. Do not allow him to get away with disobeying commands that you know he understands. But be careful not to reprimand him for what may appear to be disobedience but is actually a lack of understanding on his part.

If our dogs do something 'wrong' it is never their fault. It is our failure in teaching/showing/guiding them in the correct responses to commands and situations
Thanks SB thought it probably was, how long does it usually last?

I try not to let him get away with not obeying commands he understands, if he ignores me when I ask him to come I go and get him and put him on the lead for a minute then make him sit to have it taken off again, in general on walks he is pretty good its just at classes and the barking at home, I understand if he does something 'wrong' it is not his fault but trying to explain it to my OH he thinks im blaming his behaviour on him and it ends up in an argument
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Thanks SB thought it probably was, how long does it usually last?
Depends very much on the individual dog. Some get through the phase quickly, some take longer, but by 12 months he should be behaving fairly sensibly, particularly if you are keeping his brain exercised as well as his body

I understand if he does something 'wrong' it is not his fault but trying to explain it to my OH he thinks im blaming his behaviour on him and it ends up in an argument
Tell OH to come and argue with the experienced trainers on here
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Depends very much on the individual dog. Some get through the phase quickly, some take longer, but by 12 months he should be behaving fairly sensibly, particularly if you are keeping his brain exercised as well as his body

Tell OH to come and argue with the experienced trainers on here
Lol will do! He is very good with Loki but has no patients in the morning, will be ok when we move a week sat but at the mo he's staying in my room with me so doesnt really have anywhere to go and be grumpy and drink his coffee on his own with out Loki rubbing his slobery giraffee all over him he pushes him away and gets stressed when he keeps coming back again but Loki just thinks he's playing and likes rubbing his giraffee on people in the morning!

I try to keep his mind active and have been teaching him to look for and find his giraffee (its his fav toy!) when told so I can hide it in the house or garden when we move and he can use his nose to look for it, he doesnt seem very good at using his nose at the moment and I heard using their nose tires them out alot. He is kept pretty busy with ring craft, obedience and training and play at home but seems to sleep all day at work (he does have interactive toys to keep him occupied durring the day but dont think they last long) so its no wonder he's full of energy in the evenings
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Lol will do! He is very good with Loki but has no patients in the morning, will be ok when we move a week sat but at the mo he's staying in my room with me so doesnt really have anywhere to go and be grumpy and drink his coffee on his own with out Loki rubbing his slobery giraffee all over him he pushes him away and gets stressed when he keeps coming back again but Loki just thinks he's playing and likes rubbing his giraffee on people in the morning!
Wow doesn't that sound familiar, except I get it at night aswell if Roxy has settled 'quick enough' Some men are so impatient
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Hannah I am sure you have told your OH a dozen times that the more he pushes Loki and his toy away the more he is rewarding Loki and encouraging him to repeat the behaviour. If he wishes to discourage the behaviour then he needs to ignore the dog completely - no speaking, no touching, no eye contact. He will just have to put up with slobbery 'giraffed' legs for a while until Loki gets the message that no attention will be forthcoming
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Hannah I am sure you have told your OH a dozen times that the more he pushes Loki and his toy away the more he is rewarding Loki and encouraging him to repeat the behaviour. If he wishes to discourage the behaviour then he needs to ignore the dog completely - no speaking, no touching, no eye contact. He will just have to put up with slobbery 'giraffed' legs for a while until Loki gets the message that no attention will be forthcoming
Thanks SB have done! When we move he can just go and be grumpy on his own in a different room! Until then guess I can only continue to repeat myself!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >