View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Obedience At Companion Shows - What Do You Have To Do?

Hi,

Well, i've been practicing with Riley (mainly in the garden as i didn't like the obedience club ) and he's actually got very good at his obedience (IMO) and i'd really love to have a go at one of the companion sahows we have planned in a few weeks! Of course, he'll probably be far too excited at being watched by more than my mum and brother and be a little monster, but it'll be fun!

Anyway, on the schedule, there's not much info.. I thought it would say whats expected but it doesn't. It just says that for the "Beginners Class", which we'd do obv!lol Its on a lead - Thats it.. So, i guess its not recall or leaving the dog at all, so just walking to heel and sitting?? That seems a little too easy!

Does anyone know what sort of stuff we'll be expected to do?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 06:18 AM
Have acted as steward for the obedience judge at companion shows and it would seem it is up to the judge what they ask you to do but there is nearly always a sit stay and or down stay although in the Beginners class most judges do not ask the handler to leave the ring. Why not ring the name on the leaflet you have and ask their opinion.
jacey
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2006, 06:43 PM
At a lot of companion shows everything is done on lead including recall and stays in the beginner classes. This means you will only do a recall that is the length of your lead and the same in stays.

Jacey
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Thanks for those replies

I will phone the secretary - Good idea lol

Riley should have no problem doing all of that on the lead so it should be a good thing for him to start with! Im sure he'd be fine off the lead too but as its the first one its best to start easier