register for free

Dog News

Portuguese water dog is the pooch to watch at Westminster

...has received 102 comments (page 4)
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Jackie, I refrained from dragging Her Majesty into this debate, but seeing as you have raised the topic of Her corgis, I had considered mentioning that very point myself. Yes, I think it not unreasonable to suggest that IF a judge knew that a particular corgi had been bred by Her or was a very close relative of one of her beloved corgis, it is not unreasonable to say that that thought would be in the back of the judge's mind ... Not INFLUENCING the outcome necessarily, but nonetheless there. To think otherwise shows a huge level of naivety! Human nature being as it is.

We all very well know that judges often make seemingly extraordinary judgments. They are only human after all, and therefore imperfect. So it is nonsensical to set them up on such a high pedestal.

As for Matisse, no, I think he looks ridiculous. I like dogs to look natural, not primped and blow dried and polished. How much more beautiful he would look au natural ... Just back from a windy walk on the beach with sand in his beautiful coat and salt zinging on his tongue! tHAT Is true beauty, unadorned by human primping! As I keep telling my daughter, but she doesn't listen!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Right... I suppose a dog primped up for a show is a perfect example of all the breed. Whatever.
No he does not represent ALL of the breed just like any other breed, what he does represent is a very good example of the breed, thats not to say there is not as good as an example of said breed sitting in from of someones fire, but we cant judge if they are not out there...

whats wrong with him being primped up for a show, you would not go to a wedding or out for dinner in your PJ`s or your dog walking clothes would you, you would have a bath/shower wash your hair put on your best clothes to look good.

This dog like many other show dogs live normal lives they get dirty , muddy and enjoy their playtime, there's nothing derogatory to suggest just because they have had a bath and brush up for a show is "whatever"!.

The comments about the judges well to be honest they are not really worth a response, its so off the wall.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 09:18 AM
As for Matisse, no, I think he looks ridiculous. I like dogs to look natural, not primped and blow dried and polished.
Have you ever seen any of the cruelty cases on TV where dogs have been left natural....

PWD along with many other coated breeds have coats that continue to grow , leaving them natural would end up in a cruelty case.

Matisse is a curly coat, he has been clipped just the same as anyone other PWD owner would do, albeit, a more professional job.

These breeds if you are keeping them in a retriever trim, need clipping every 8 weeks or so, unless you keep them in the lion trim, Ive seen dogs left natural, and its not something to be recommended.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 09:22 AM
One of the saddest things I ever heard was about the dog who won crufts a couple of years ago, I believe. It was a llasa apso or a Shi tzu or similar, and the owner glibly said he was never allowed to get dirty or muddy! I was absolutely appalled.
Meg
Supervisor

18-02-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by mjfomga
Right... I suppose a dog primped up for a show is a perfect example of all the breed. Whatever.
Myra what does 'whatever' mean, over here it is a rude and childish comment made by someone who is losing an argument.

I think the comments you made about the breed being 'smelly, wiry, goofy, lanky' on a dog forum where some members own this breed were uncalled for to say the least.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Yes Gnasher, things happen like that in all works of life concerning dogs, but lets be honest here, although not a nice thing, there are far worse things that happen to dogs than being denied outside freedom.

Just because some folk are like that don`t tarnish EVERYONE who shows and presents their dogs in tip top condition are the same.

P.S........ it seems all 3 judges who judged Matisse did not want to have tea with the president after all, as the Beagle took BIS.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Jackie, we stayed in a self catering cottage in Devon and the owner had a Pwd ... Every day she walked him the length of the local beach and back, about six miles. They would return with him soaked with salt and sand, a quick dip in the ford and he was good to go. He was groomed regularly and trimmed but otherwise left unprimped.

Take my Ben ... He has a coat notoriously easy to Matt. We groom him regularly and he has two or three baths a year. Otherwise he is left to look naturally gorgeous. You don't need to groom and primp a dog within an inch of its life to keep him healthy and happy like poor Matisse who frankly looks ridiculous and how the poor ******* sees is beyond me. It can't be very healthy for him to have that great clump of dense curls around his eyes either.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Myra what does 'whatever' mean, over here it is a rude and childish comment made by someone who is losing an argument.
Meg I think "whatever" is a universal response , when you have nothing better to say.
Meg
Supervisor

18-02-2015, 09:31 AM
One of the saddest things I ever heard was about the dog who won crufts a couple of years ago, I believe. It was a llasa apso or a Shi tzu or similar, and the owner glibly said he was never allowed to get dirty or muddy! I was absolutely appalled.
That doesn't mean the dog never goes out just that it doesn't play in the dirt and mud . Anyone who has shown dogs will tell you that outdoor exercise is essential to build a dog sound in body and temperament.

I agree with Jackie, there are worse things than not letting a dog get muddy like torturing them with an e collar for instance.
Meg
Supervisor

18-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie
Meg I think "whatever" is a universal response , when you have nothing better to say.
Is it, to me it is childish and has no place in an adult discussion .
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top