Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dijkster
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Sick puppy

My puppy (okay, she's a year old, but still my baby) has been fairly sick for the past few days. On Tuesday I noticed she was vomiting bile in the yard a fair bit as well as a decrease in appetite. After she finally ate a bit of food, she vomited it all a few hours later. She's also had very mucus-y diarrhea since then.
I took her to the vet, and through very powerful deductive reasoning she informed me Pinch (my dog) has a sensitive stomach. She gave me antbiotics, anti-nausea medication and sent me on my way.
That was two days ago, and the vomiting has since stopped, but she still doesn't have much for an appetite and still has diarrhea. The only thing she will touch is rice and steamed chicken. She doesn't have a fever, is drinking a lot of water and still is quite playful.
She is a 105 lb Newfoundland/St. Bernard and I am unsure of how long I should continue the diet of rice & chicken, or how much she should be eating a day. I have bought some gastro-intestinal kibble that the vet recommended, that she has no interest in eating.
Also, could anyone recommend a good kibble for a giant breed dog that may have some food-sensitive issues?
I'm sorry if this post is long-winded, I've been a bit anxious the past few days, and anything I read online says: "Take her to a vet!" which I've done already...
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2013, 12:20 AM
If your dog is anything like mine ... she might be milking it a bit!

My dog after vomit will be a complete child then he gets lovely tasty chicken (and will pretend to eat the icky rice which goes with it). The pure horror that after 48hours I might want him to go back to lowly dog food after tasty chicken - well that is a disgrace!

Although if the food is upsetting her, I would recommend avoiding food with grains, dairy and red meat.

Interesting mix, my mother has just had an accidental litter of Newfoundland/St Bernard. 6 of them all rejected by their mother. Sore point between us but maybe you might have some handy tips for her in coming months!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Sorry to hear about your poor baby, but at least she's been checked over by the vet and should improve slowly with the medication.

I expect the antibiotics are Metronidazole as they work wonders with dodgy tums. My dog had them as a puppy, and her stomach is so sensitive (probably has irritable bowel syndrome) that she has now been on one tablet a day for the past 6 months but it's working for her,no more sickness or intermittant diarrhea.

Check up on your worming programme, because some worms can cause these symptoms, and I wonder if your vet mentioned this?

There are so many foods out there for sensitive tums nowadays, usually chicken and rice based ones, and you will of course want a large breed food because your puppy is still growing. My dog is on the Arden Grange Chicken and Rice (no cereals) cos it suits this condition of hers down to the ground.

You can feed chicken and rice for quite a while, but of course, your problem is to sustain the growth so you don't want to be on it for too long. My dog was once on this for 3 weeks which the vet told me to do. I had lots and lots of problems like this with mine whilst she was growing up.

It must be quite a minefield for the vets,. being presented with these symptoms, because in all honestly, it can be lots of things, a bug, worms, rubbish disease (dog eating something it shouldn't!), or just a plain sensitive tum which you're probably going to have to live with for life just like I am here.

Try some chicken or fish with some plain mashed potato, that's always a good alternative, especially sweet potato as it's good for dogs.

When my dog was young and had to be on bland food I added a multi vitamin which I think was called SPF-??? something,it's a powder with just about everything in it.

All the best, I do hope she picks up for you soon and she will. If this returns when the ab's finish, then I suggest you go back to the vet and talk about worms.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi I think you will have to try various foods till you hit on the right combination,we have over here James Wellbeloved Lamb&Rice also Chicken,its one of the best,some dogs can become picky,but I just vary the diet,usually strong smelling if they havent eaten the food the day before,I usually give them pilchards.Gemini54
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Hope your pup will soon be better.
dijkster
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
She is taking Metronidazol. She gets de-wormed regularly, and will again once her stomach settles a little.
I agree that there can be so many different factors causing the stomach upset right now. She's at the dog park all the time and could pick up any number of parasites while there. The vet thinks it's food allergies as she's had this stomach issue before as well some skin issues.
I'm mostly just happy to see her eating again
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 07:10 PM
My dog is the opposite of a giant breed - under one foot tall!

She was on death's door when I got her. She was kept on rice and chicken for about a month until the trots stopped. She also had pro bio greek yoghurt and some brown stuff in a tube that I got from the vet.

I asked him about varying the food during this time - suggesting some fish but he said best stick to the chicken as it had more protein (I think that's what he said - it's 3yrs ago now) fortunately she got over it and hasn't looked back since and has a cast iron constitution now - never had even a day's upset tum since.

(She doesn't still eat rice and chicken! But she does still like rice and does still like chicken!)

At the time they wouldn't worm her or even give her any vaccs until she was OK. She was so bad they couldn't assure me she would survive. Now she rules the roost.