Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
well done

i thought dogs when doing obedience werent allowed to touch the handler? when i was watching some on saturday, the dogs head or body was touching the handler, you could see it with one the dog sort of bounced off her leg every time you took a step (this was in the final demo as well)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Lovely performance. Well done Michelle!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Superb! Absolutely superb, well done Mish!!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
well done

i thought dogs when doing obedience werent allowed to touch the handler? when i was watching some on saturday, the dogs head or body was touching the handler, you could see it with one the dog sort of bounced off her leg every time you took a step (this was in the final demo as well)
Thats freestyle and HTM.. and the handler is not to touch the dog
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
The dogs that bounce off the handler get marked(well should get marked)for losing position.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Well done mish

Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
LOL Zola is a WSD not a BC & I forgive her for beating the Northern dog into second place, even if it did mean that the Northern Team ended 2nd by 1 point !!!

My friend's Chello won the C class for the Northern team
Not to detract...but jeez, WSD & BC are the same breed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Well done mish

The WSD is wider in muzzle and longer in leg, the Border Collie was bred as a smaller breed with a narrower muzzle, and they are faster in turn than the WSD and stamina.

Alot of people just look at mine and say Border Collies, when infact Tess is bigger with a wider muzzle, hence why I say she is WSD, a bigger, taller breed than my others too
They can be looser in eye.....not so fixed eyed as the BC
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
The WSD is wider in muzzle and longer in leg, the Border Collie was bred as a smaller breed with a narrower muzzle, and they are faster in turn than the WSD and stamina.

Alot of people just look at mine and say Border Collies, when infact Tess is bigger with a wider muzzle, hence why I say she is WSD, a bigger, taller breed than my others too
Er no a BC is either a KC registered dog from KC registered parents or a dog that is either registered with the ISDS & the KC, from parents that are ISDS registered, from a dog/bitch that is ISDS registered & the other parent is KC registered.

A WSD is a dog registered with the KC on the activities register from WSD registered with the KC or a dog from unknown parentage that the owner thinks is a sheepdog. It is well known that certain dogs in the past that have been registered as WSD have actually been crossbreeds with other breeds in their pedigree.

You can register any dog with the KC as a WSD, regardless of whether it has any sheepdog in it's bloodlines.

The ISDS register all the dogs as Working Sheepdog(or Border Collie). it is the Kennel Clubs all over the world that call ISDS regsitered dogs as Border Collies.

To be totally correct a Border Collie should be able to have it's pedigree traced back to dogs from the borders of Scotland & England-just like the Border Terrier. ISDS dogs are now a mixture of English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish dogs.

I have 4 Border Collies(all eligible for KC registration as such) my two ISDS dogs are not from border bloodlines, being mainly from the South West of England & KC only dogs have a mixture of KC/Foreign/ISDS lines.

Wukee(who is a KC only BC)is a typical lowland dog, heavier looking(but not actually any heavier in weight than my ISDS dog !)rough coated & with tighter feet. Keewee & Rjj being 1/2 brother & sister ISDS dogs are medium/smooth coated with hare feet as they are from Hill dog lines, they look lighter than Wukee but aren't weight wise. Jesscee, bless her, is Wukee's full sister & looks like a mix between Wukee & the other two, having a medium rough coat coat & hare feet & is longer in the body than all the others !!

The only reason I stress that some dogs are WSD & others are BCs is that the public in general thinks that anything that resembles a BC is a BC(especially at Crufts)& just because a dog is KC registered on the activities register doesn't make it a BC-especially as several popular Obedience lines have known other breeds in their make up(including a Labrador !!)

ISDS dogs come in all shapes & sizes & have developed their type to be able to do the job they are bred for
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post

No they are not if they are KC registered, I could go to a rescue & get a GSD & register it with the KC as a WSD no one checked up that they even look like a sheepdog. You have neve been able to register a dog from unregistered parents as a BC on the actitives register. The ISDS insisted that only dogs from ISDS parents be called BCs with the KC for obvious reasons-no one checks the dogs bloodlines for the actities register
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

Are you confusing Wsd (working sheepdog) with welsh sheepdog?
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
No they are not if they are KC registered, I could go to a rescue & get a GSD & register it with the KC as a WSD no one checked up that they even look like a sheepdog. You have neve been able to register a dog from unregistered parents as a BC on the actitives register. The ISDS insisted that only dogs from ISDS parents be called BCs with the KC for obvious reasons-no one checks the dogs bloodlines for the actities register
yes I know the difference in terms of registration ands it's something we will have to agree to disagree on, I just found your post confirming that Zola was a Wsd rather than bc rather petty.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >