Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 12:04 PM

Obedience 'breeds'

I've noticed that the vast majority of dogs doing obedience are collies. Are they really the ultimate obedience breed? If so, why? Are there any other breeds which could compare? Does the breed of the dog actually matter or is it more the training? If you could choose any breed of dog for obedience which would it be and why? Opinions and discussion please
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 12:23 PM
At the obedience club I used to attend, the majority of breeds owned by people wanting to compete were border collies and GSDs. I think the reason being that both are intelligent, eager to please and therefore relatively easy to train.

Having said that, other breeds can, and are, trained up to a high standard and compete at the top level.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I think every person should get the dog for them - and not the dog for their sport!
I have found that many people get a collie and then find themselves doing sports and stuff with them becuase they hadnt realised how much work it could be to keep a smart dog occupied
Collies CAN excell at most sports, but not a breed lots of people could live with - and no guarantees

You have to love and bond with your dog - regardless of breed - before you can do well with them
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Hmm.....I think collies are the breed of choice for many as they are athletic and eager to work, but possibly more so as people do this as a hobby - you cannot (in many cases) dedicate the time that is needed to get some breeds motivated or do the kind of training they need.

Example - I can work Siren for 2 hours and she will still be wanting more - the others cannot function this way. I am not saying every collie is like that - but a good deal are.
Mad Huskies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Well I am currently grade three obeidence training with my siberian husky (a breed well renouned for having a mind of its own and being a challenge to train) and I, biased though I may be, find that she is just as good if not better than some of the more "trainable" breeds of dog in our class.
I think it is all about the relationship you have with your dog in order for them to want to work for you and for you to know how best to motivate them.
Although I dont think we will go on to compete we are passing every class without having to repeat and Im very proud of the way she works for me!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 02:05 PM
My GSP would be utterly useless at obedience work or agility because he would consider them irrelevant to his passion which is anything gundog related. We have tried obedience a couple of times and he would make a big show of lying down and going to sleep whilst he was waiting for his turn. And then pretending he didn't understand the simplest thing like ....sit stay, he would keep lying down and closing his eyes. Whereas he is happy to do a standing, sitting or down stay for ages whilst I hide his toy or throw it for another dog to fetch. But that's different because he could see the point of that and he is totally focused. It's horses for courses.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Maybe it's because I dont own typical collies that I cant see why the likes of agility and obedience are flooded with them. I've tried both with my collies and neither have what it takes. Jessie would perhaps be good at agility or flyball if only she would overcome her timidity.

Having said that, my pointer (I believe) could excel at anything I chose to do with him. He's fast, athletic, agile and very keen to get involved so for me, a BC wouldnt be my automatic choice. He's very intelligent but I can acknowledge that it takes him longer than Jed to learn something. I literally have to show Jed something once or mark a behaviour once and he's got it but with Flynn it will take a few more attempts.

I've seen rotties competing at obedience, GSD's etc but I also think the likes of Dobermans, Aussie shepherds, standard poodles to name a few very much have what it takes to compete against collies.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 03:01 PM
UK obedience is judged with a collie work type base line, if you look at other countries USA for example. They have many other breeds competing and doing well but they don't have a winner takes all system as we do, they qualify rather like our working trials.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I always remember seeing some boxers in the states doing obedience.. looked really proud doing it to..
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Tons of breeds compete in UK ob.

Why do collies excell?
Because they can cope with the type of intense training, & are in general will be happy to repeat repeat repeat
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »