Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:57 AM
no you are not using channel weaves
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for giving me back my sanity there Tupac! So, dare I ask...... am I using the v weaves then??? (runs and hides lol!). Are the channel weaves the ones that spring up like in Hayley's pics then??? Sorry questions, questions, questions!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
errrr who's doing this agility? you or Zena

I don't know mate your going to do yourself a mischief

Well done Zena though although I would love to have seen your face

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was beginning to wonder that meself yesterday mate!!!! I managed to do some damage after the first lesson, which made the fronts of my legs quite painful all down the top, so I suppose for some reason I haven't used those muscles for a long while (but we won't go there lol!!!!!) After yesterday's lesson, however, everything works and is back to normal, thank goodness!!!! I'm giving myself a whole week until my next one now, coz I've just done THREE in one week!!!!! That's far too much for an oldie like me, but probably not enough for her ladyship!!! xxxxx Tough!!!!!
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Hi
the problems with knocking on v weaves don't occur until years later. Big feisty dogs tend to learn that the v's do give so then apply the same weave action on uprights this can result in sore shoulders. And from a competition point of view the time wasted by knocking can be the difference between 1st or 10th place. IMO.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Hi
the problems with knocking on v weaves don't occur until years later. Big feisty dogs tend to learn that the v's do give so then apply the same weave action on uprights this can result in sore shoulders. And from a competition point of view the time wasted by knocking can be the difference between 1st or 10th place. IMO.

i understand what u are saying but i have not had this problem in 14years...neither has larger dogs i have known,none retired through injury to thair shoulders(of course anything is poss )

and my dogs have never 'knocked' the weaves and cost them time or a place ....... other things yes..weaves no lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks Jfk, it sounds as if I'm using the V weaves then??? Are the dogs not supposed to touch them as they whiz through then? Surely, once they get the knack of them by using the channel type ones, you'll have to move onto these ones I'm using now just because they are the ones used in Competition?

Thank God we're taking it all so very slowly, well with the weaves at least, and I'm getting a bit windy now at the thought of her racing through them and bashing her shoulders! Like I told my trainer yesterday, I don't intend to get to Crufts next year, I'm purely using these classes to my advantage, because I actually like the obedience side of it all (i.e. you can't possibly do these without a 100% obedient dog imo!) and I like the fact that I'm getting my youngster working with her brain instead of wearing me out on longer walks, plus it's fun to do it together (we'll bond a lot more, if that's possible!), and I'm far too old to start running about around some agility course in a comp, to which she replied "now don't go getting me all disappointed"!!! She can however, dream on!!! lol!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 11:24 AM
helena... you are not using v weaves either

you are not ussing 'training weaves' but are useing 'competition weaves'
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Channel and V weaves are just ways the weaves are set up to make it easier for the dogs to understand the action
Channel weaves are 2 parralel lines of weaves, the dog learns to run down the gap in the middle and over time the poles are moved closer together until eventualy the gap is so little that the dog has to start wiggling.
As I said, if done correctly with constant access to the equipment then it can be really good - but it is just one method and it is in no way the only way to teach it and it is not always suitable for all handlers

V weaves are the weaves in the normal line but instead of them being vertical they are put at an angle so when viewed from the front it looks like a V, again this is easier for the dog to understand where he is going, then the angle of the V is reduced slowly

Wires is where the weaves have wires - or some kind of actual barrier around the weaves so the ONLY path they can take is the correct path, the weaves start of in the correct position and the dog is making the full weaving motion right from the start. Then you can slowly remove some of the wire from the middle until the dog is weaving without the wire

What you are doing is luring the weave, its prob the simplest way for you to do if you only have access to equipment at the class, it takes a while but its just like training any other 'trick' like to spin in circles - you fade out the lure to just a hand signal and then you fade out the hand signal - then fade out the distance you have to be away from the dog
It means the dog starts slower and weaves as they gain more confidence - the other methods encourage the dogs to be at full speed right at the start, they tend to be more independant of the handler - the dog learns quicker to do the weaves no matter where you are, with luring it takes more work to get to that point

the 2*2 weaves is a clicker training way to do it - you start out with only 2 weave poles and teach the dog to seek out and run through those poles from any angle
Then at a distance you add 2 more poles and do the same thing - so the dog finds the first 2 poles and runs through them, then finds the 2nd 2 (which it has already practised)
You move the poles closer together, always working on different angles, and then the dog is finding the entrance to the weaves and weaving 4 poles
You then add 2 more at a distance, so he goes tru the first 2, then weaves the 4, move them together and the dog is weaving 6 poles

If I was going to do a running contact I would do Silvia Trkmans method - starting with the contack flat on the floor and clicking for running all along the plank, then slowly raising the angle and clicking only for not jumping
I dont like the 2 off 2 on contacts, I know they are pretty easy for the dog to understand but with really fast dogs they slam so hard into position I worry about their shoulders
We do a 4 on the floor - which means the dog runs all the way down the contact and lies down on the floor right off the contact, its a modified running contact because when the dog understands the action you can give the release sometimes just before he lies down and he has run across the contact without jumping

anyway
You have to pick the method you want, there are pleanty out there, and it depends on the trainer too - and of course your dog, running contacts are much easier on a pom than a dobie no method is correct for 100% of dogs and handlers
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Heres chanels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-nkGdFa5Vw
the best I can find fot 2x2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfR0A...eature=related
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Ahhhhhh, I think I've got it now thanks for all that fantastic info there BenMc!!! I also know what the 2*2 method is, since that is the one shown in that video link I posted up (I think?! yes it is!) No more questions, honest!!!!

I see you've put a video up for me there, so I'm off to watch that now, thanks a million!
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »